Acheiving in personal finance means realizing it is war.
I'm am going to give you a brief guide to personal financial freedom. It works for everyone. It works every time. It doesn't take as much time as you think if you attack it head on...
1) Create a budget. Write down and categorize everything that you spend money on. Use a debit card to pay everything so you have a receipt. Make sure that you account for every reciept.
2) Cut 33% percent from your budget. I don't care how you do it. Just do it! Get rid of the cable or satellite dish. Stop eating out.Clip coupons. Sell the 2nd or 3rd car that you really don't need. Do whatever you have to do to cut your budget.
3) Add 20% to your income. Again I don't care how you do it. Get another part time job. Sell stuff on Ebay. Get a paper route. I don't care how you do it.
4) Most of the gurus suggest that you start building your emergency fund at this point, but I disagree. We are going to attack the first bill. It will probably be a credit card. Pay all that extra new-found wealth to paying off the debt that has the highest interest rate. Keep doing this until that debt is paid.
5) Repeat the process with the debt with the next highest interest rate, until every debt is paid off.
6) Think that you're done? Did you pay off the house?
7) Now it's time to work on the emergency fund. Focus putting aside 6 months worth of income in a high interest savings account.
8) You're not done yet. You still have utility bills don't you? We are going to the highest utility bill first. If you live up North, It's most likely the Gas bill, down South it's probably the Electric bill. Do an energy audit of your home. Find out where your wasting the most energy. Weather-proof your home and buy energy efficient appliances. Start buying DRiP's. Buy enough DRiP's in gas companies to pay your gas bill and account for inflation. Move to the next highest bill and repeat.
9) Still got a grocery bill? Invest in commodities and AG stocks. Again remember inflation. Got a lot of land? Plant a garden.
10) If you have made it this far. You can lose your job and still maintain your lifestyle. You now invest everything that you can to increase your income. I'm not going to tell you how to invest it. There's plenty of info on this site for that.
11) Vow to never ever buy anything on credit, or on payments, ever again! EVER! EVER! EVER!
12) Figure out how to pay cash for everything that you want. If you decide that you need a service that you must pay for monthly, figure out a way to generate the monthly income the same way that you did with the utility bills.
If you honestly attempt the list above, you will succeed.