Use access key #2 to skip to page content.

AllStarPortfolio (27.16)

AllStarPortfolio - Closing picks?



November 09, 2010 – Comments (34) | RELATED TICKERS: ETRM , KVPHQ.DL , YHOO

Portefeuille takes profit on SQNM. Still open on AllStarPortfolio.

Anybody else want to close or set limits? Or open new positions?


Oh, BTW, is ETRM moving? what's that about? Someone ping danteps?


 You Allstars should check out Wall Street Survivor Any way to maximize that? Sell something, buy something. 

 Anyways, love you guys. Stone cold. It's great. With 317 groupies this is the 58th most popular account on caps, having just edged alstry. heh



 TWO green thumb per person. Your best pick, and your BEST PITCH, please. All picks MUST have a pitch, and a time frame. Minimum Time Frame 6 months. Players are free to change the pick as often as caps permits.

   No Ultras (FAZ was picked before the discussion was finished, and will be closed soonish). No Bear ETFS. Only one .PK  or .OB pick per player.

 To qualify for a pick you must:

 Have a RATING of more than 99 on the day of pick


 Be a "yes"man with a RATING of 97 or higher on the day of pick


 Have been a caps player for more than 6 months. 


Be in the Top Ten at the time of pitch, or have at one time been the Top Fool.

There is also a shadow account at wallstreetsurvivor where we track with dollars, and compete against Top Bloggers on MSN. Each player gets $2,000 starting money to use as desired between the two picks. Fools who do not dictate their preferences for WSS will have the 'funds' handled by the AllStarPortfolio administrators (me).


   To submit a pick Players should attach their pitch to a blog from this caps account. I will then copy that to the pitch on the stocks page, so that it will be visible on both the stock page and the quickstats page. I will of course place your name, and score at time of pick on the pitch.

You can name your stock here, for dibs (will hold for 7 days), but i will not post the stock until you have made your pitch, and picked a time frame, also.

I am willing to share the password with a few someones, if they would like, to facilitate timing.



34 Comments – Post Your Own

#1) On November 09, 2010 at 3:12 PM, rhallbick (97.09) wrote:

I'm still good with my pick (  Just to let you know that I am monitoring it.  RH

Report this comment
#2) On November 16, 2010 at 5:40 PM, ChrisGraley (28.49) wrote:

I think it's about time to close FRMSF.PK I should have closed it when you had a 4 banger. I plan on buying it again in the very short term, but I think we are in for more of a short term drop.

Report this comment
#3) On November 17, 2010 at 2:03 PM, AllStarPortfolio (27.16) wrote:

Wow, are you really sure? Can i just ask. . .

Let's talk compounding. Finding the floor on ANY growth stock is a fools dream, and in Caps there is no compounding unless you keep the pick open.

The 400 badge is great, but if you think $2 is the floor, and that $9.4 is Not the Ceiling, then. . .  is holding worth the risk?

What's First Majestic's potential 10 or 20 years from now?

   I'd rather sell a portion of your position on WSS, and set a limit  on FRMSF.PK here on Caps.

Of course you're the boss. Tell me one more time, and i will execute immediately. I just thought it would be fun to ask those questions. I'll be right back.


Report this comment
#4) On November 18, 2010 at 6:59 PM, ChrisGraley (28.49) wrote:

Well I'd hate to be late to cash in, since it's not really my portfolio, but if you are up for the risk, I am happy to hold it. Like I said, I'm planning on buying it back in my own CAPS account.

Diclosure in my RL portfolio, I sold 1/3 of my holdings which was more than enough to pay for my entire initial purchase twice over. 

I wish we could do something similar in CAPS, but alas we have to sell all or nothing.

BTW by risk, I'm talking totally about market risk. The company is still a good buy.

Report this comment
#5) On November 18, 2010 at 7:45 PM, ChrisGraley (28.49) wrote:

I realized that I didn't answer your questions...

I think silver would have to drop below $15 for the company to have a floor of $5.00. Barring a catastrophe, I don't think we'll ever see $2 again.

I actually didn't think of compounding and if I did, I probably would have not sold my own CAPS position.

FRMSF is tough to project 10 - 20 years out because they are aggressive in acquisitions and each acquisition needs to be evaluated independently.

I'm still doing my DD on the Real de Catorce acquisition that they just made, but my initial reaction is that the next 5 years look very promising.


Report this comment
#6) On December 16, 2010 at 6:58 PM, MKArch (99.76) wrote:


I'm pretty well into the 99's now so put me down for LEN. If the link above doesn't work my pitch is my latest blog.



Report this comment
#7) On December 23, 2010 at 1:14 PM, portefeuille (98.93) wrote:

Please end my SQNM call, replace it by an "outperform" call on ALNY (no limit), sell 68 of the 108 SQNM shares here (no limit) and buy as many ALNY shares as the rules allow (no limit).

the ALNY "pitch".


“Roche has elected to make a number of broad-based portfolio decisions across their entire R&D organization that appear to affect their ability for continued and sustained resource commitment to RNAi therapeutics,” said John Maraganore, Ph.D., Chief Executive Officer of Alnylam. “While we are disappointed and surprised to hear of their portfolio decision given the progress being made in the RNAi field, we remain more confident than ever in our efforts to advance RNAi therapeutics as a whole new class of innovative medicines to patients. In particular, we have achieved major breakthroughs in the safe and effective delivery of RNAi therapeutics and have also advanced our RNAi therapeutic efforts to patients in several clinical programs. We expect our delivery progress and clinical pipeline to continue to grow. Moreover, we believe we are on the frontier of demonstrating human proof-of-concept for these and other programs in the near term, and we are confident that these data will provide a strong foundation for continued execution on our business model and value creation strategy.”


(from here)

Report this comment
#8) On December 27, 2010 at 9:31 AM, AllStarPortfolio (27.16) wrote:

OK. Sorry for the lack of response. I had the flu. I was going to write and tell you about my flu, and how bad it was, but decided not to. It's not my favorite subject, and it won't help any to ellaborate.

I am watching the market this morning and will get both of those picks up immediately.


Report this comment
#9) On December 27, 2010 at 11:20 AM, AllStarPortfolio (27.16) wrote:

I am pouting about this LEN pick. I like the pick, of course, and i wish i had somehow picked it up this week at 17.5 or so. But i look at the chart, and remember some of my past Christmas moves, and can't help but feel as if LEN will touch 17.5 again. Maybe less.

Now i know that LEN is worth (delete my opinion) so it doesn't matter, but i am still kicking gravel. I have a nagging feeling that the price is going to drop the moment i hit the button, and in Caps there is no 'build a position'. Your are 'all in'.

Well, now that i said that perhaps i'll just go push the button and forget about it. ltbh


Report this comment
#10) On December 27, 2010 at 11:33 AM, AllStarPortfolio (27.16) wrote:

I set a limit on LEN at 18.9. That may sound dumb, but at least i don't have to stare at the screen. My theory there is if it breaks support it will run, but if it was just a feint without a higher high then 17.5 here we come.


Report this comment
#11) On December 27, 2010 at 1:43 PM, MKArch (99.76) wrote:

Well the good news is if I'm right it won't matter if we start at $17.5 or $18.90 in the long run. I know TMF bent the rules to make their stockspam portfolio work. Maybe if you email the administator he will start the pick at the closing price the day I posted the rec here based on intent and this is a special case portfolio. If not no big deal I don't think it will make much difference long term.



Report this comment
#12) On December 31, 2010 at 5:42 AM, portefeuille (98.93) wrote:

#7,8 The SQNM call has not ended yet.

Report this comment
#13) On December 31, 2010 at 5:49 AM, portefeuille (98.93) wrote:

Please end my ATPG call and replace it by an "outperform" call on DSCOD (no limit). Please sell 70 of the 120 ATPG shares here (no limit) and buy as many DSCOD shares as the rules allow (no limit).

the DSCOD "pitch".

This is part of a post by zzlangerhans.


"Most biotechs with a market cap under 50M are dubious or outright scam outfits with highly speculative pipelines or drug candidates that have failed late stage trials. However, there seems to be little argument regarding the efficacy or utility of Discovery's liquid surfactant Surfaxin. What has taken the share price deep into all-time lows is the repeated failure of the company to get Surfaxin approved by the FDA over the last five years. Time and again the share price has risen only to be slapped down after the FDA issued Complete Response after Complete Response, citing complicated issues related to manufacturing and controls. Meanwhile, the rest of the pipeline has struggled and the company has diluted again and again to balloon the share count to 200 million. In short, the stock deserves to be ailing. But the company unquestionably has the cash to submit Surfaxin for approval once again in Q1 2011 and await yet another FDA response, likely in Q3. Despite the exhaustion and capitulation that has brought the share price so low, there is a high likelihood that the share price will rise dramatically as investors start to wonder if maybe, just maybe, the company got it right this time."


Report this comment
#14) On December 31, 2010 at 5:57 AM, portefeuille (98.93) wrote:

allstarportfolio is no longer listed in the "TopStocks Bloggers’ Leaderboard" ...

Report this comment
#15) On December 31, 2010 at 6:01 AM, portefeuille (98.93) wrote:

#14 It does show up in the "TopStocks Bloggers’ Leaderboard" shown here, though.

I still think the "cash position" in to large. Maybe you could give each participant an extra "Christmas / New Year" allowance of $3000 or so ...

Report this comment
#16) On December 31, 2010 at 6:02 AM, portefeuille (98.93) wrote:

in to

is too

Report this comment
#17) On December 31, 2010 at 6:11 AM, portefeuille (98.93) wrote:

Report this comment
#18) On December 31, 2010 at 5:30 PM, AllStarPortfolio (27.16) wrote:

Hey port.

I will have all your changes done by Monday. I perceive you as a 'now' kind of trader, and i will execute promptly.

Referencing comment 7: Well, with SQNM i was sorta cheating. I have a sell limit set at 8.0. If you'd like i will just close the caps pick, instead.

I know you want to spend all the money. I feel comfortable with the theory of a little cautious cash as we buy in.  For instance; MKArch (99.14)  just picked LEN and only a short time ago miteycasey, fleabagger, and TSIF all made picks/buys.

I also noticed the AllStarPortfolio missing from one view of the leaderboard one day, but it was there the next time i looked. ? ?

Thanks for everything. Please don't give up on me. 



Report this comment
#19) On January 01, 2011 at 6:56 PM, portefeuille (98.93) wrote:

okay, great.

Report this comment
#20) On January 03, 2011 at 9:54 AM, AllStarPortfolio (27.16) wrote:

hey Port, DSCOD is not currently rateable. It also fell 5% this morning, but i'm watching it.

Report this comment
#21) On January 04, 2011 at 7:13 PM, portefeuille (98.93) wrote:

okay, it should be "ratable" on January 5.

Report this comment
#22) On January 11, 2011 at 2:29 PM, AllStarPortfolio (27.16) wrote:

Arrrrgh. I don't know what happened to our LEN limit at 18.9. Perhaps it's my fault. Maybe i didn't hit the 'confirm' button.

ALSO, i am sitting at a borrowed computer because i was 'fired' from my 'job' this week, and am busy moving from one house to another, which will take weeks unless i rent a uhaul.

Oh well, let me start working on it.

While i'm at it i will go check the status of DSCOD.


PS; I've been sittint here for over an hour, and i can't seem to maintain connection long enough to do any real work. I think i will walk down to the library.

Report this comment
#23) On January 11, 2011 at 2:42 PM, AllStarPortfolio (27.16) wrote:

DSCOD IS AVAILABLE NOW. Do we still want it? I will pick it up today unless port tells me not to.


Report this comment
#24) On January 12, 2011 at 1:24 PM, portefeuille (98.93) wrote:

#13,23 Yes, please make an "outperform" call on DSCOD.

Report this comment
#25) On January 12, 2011 at 6:53 PM, MKArch (99.76) wrote:

I just realized I'm allowed two picks or I would have brought this one up earlier. Put me down for BAC five plus years.


Currently trading at ~0.7X book while banks trade at 2x-3X book in a normal economy and book value should improve as the recovery takes hold. Besides the slow recovery still weighing down the whole sector BAC is lagging it's peers due to concern about put backs and Wikileaks. The put back issue should have been "put back" to rest with the FRE and FNM settlements both having stronger reps and warranties than the monolines and private investors. What's going to come out of Wikileaks that can be more damaging than all the scrutiny the bank has already been under? Even if Assange is right and someones head rolls it won't take the bank down.  I was a tad under 99% when BAC was trading at $11 recently and I just realized that I could make two recs in this portfolio so I missed some of the initial bounce back but there should be plenty more as book value improves and BAC works it's way back to the 2x-3X range. BAC should also spit out a pretty healthy dividend starting from the current cost basis in a normalized economy.

Report this comment
#26) On January 18, 2011 at 11:57 PM, portefeuille (98.93) wrote:

#13 Please end my call on ATPG.

Report this comment
#27) On January 25, 2011 at 11:52 AM, AllStarPortfolio (27.16) wrote:

Limit set on ATPG at 15.5. Tell me what you think. I will check back through out the day. I am at my new residence now, and have net access again, so i will be able to interact more regularly again.


Report this comment
#28) On January 25, 2011 at 11:53 AM, AllStarPortfolio (27.16) wrote:;range=6m;indicator=ke_ud+ema%28180,30,499%29+sma%2810,360,60%29+psar+bollinger+roc+macd+wpr;charttype=line;crosshair=on;ohlcvalues=0;logscale=off;source=undefined

Report this comment
#29) On January 30, 2011 at 10:54 PM, portefeuille6 (99.60) wrote:

#27 You don't need to set a limit. ATPG shares closed on January 28 at around $16.32.

Report this comment
#30) On February 15, 2011 at 1:18 PM, AllStarPortfolio (27.16) wrote:

On Jan 18 ATPG closed at 16.7

on Feb 15 ATPG closed at 18.9

Today 18.6 on low volume. An %8 increase.

Moved the stop to 16.32, which was incidently the last low.;range=1m;compare=^gspc;indicator=ke_ud+ema%28180,30,499%29+sma%2810,360,60%29+psar+bollinger+roc+macd+wpr;charttype=line;crosshair=on;ohlcvalues=0;logscale=off;source=undefined

Hi short, and low float, are combining with the potential for permit signing and/or earnings report acheiving ocf-cap ex positive.

Report this comment
#31) On February 25, 2011 at 11:30 AM, portefeuille (98.93) wrote:

Please end my call on ATPG, no limit needed.

Report this comment
#32) On March 02, 2011 at 11:37 AM, AllStarPortfolio (27.16) wrote:

The low for the week was Feb 23. ATPG closed at 17.73, and that is where i have moved the current limit to.

SInce Jan 18 ATPG has outperformed by 20%. ATPG has outperformed by 8% since your Feb 25 close call. I have been reading quite a bit, and following ATPG daily, and believe we are within days of acquiring the accuracy point.


Please forgive my inpertinence but i really think we can do it, and since since the lower limit is currently about 10 CAPS points above your original call, i can't see the harm.

At this moment AllStarPortfolio's ATPG score sits at a measly -3.36.


Report this comment
#33) On April 11, 2011 at 1:29 PM, rhallbick (97.09) wrote:

New pick.  China Yida (CNYD) at the market.

CNYD is a small Chinese media/tourist-site management company that did a reverse merger in order to trade on Nasdaq.  One of their important tourist sites was damaged by flooding and was temporarily closed for repairs in the second half of 2010.  Since then, year-over-year earnings have been down, which I expect to continue until Q3, 2011.

Negative:  China is a communist country and businesses operate at the pleasure of government officials, ranging from the national policy that is set to the regulations, contracts and permits issued by the local politicians.  There appears to be a surplus in some construction in China, driven by policy and unrealistic viewpoints rather than normal market forces.  The constraints on personal freedom in China always leave it vulnerable to political unrest.  Recent announcements of interest rate increases imply a slowdown in the national growth rate and perhaps a slowdown of the real estate speculation.  Some other Chinese reverse mergers have been shown to have misrepresented their financial statements.  CNYD fired their auditor a year ago and the new one hired quit after three months because Yida couldn't produce documentation on two transactions.

Positive:  Now trades at less than 6 times my expected 2011 earnings and I expect decent earning growth in future years.  My current time frame would be greater than five years.  Rather speculative, so not for most investors.  Do your own DD.

Report this comment
#34) On May 17, 2011 at 11:56 AM, Bays (29.17) wrote:


New pick if you're still alive...

AABVF.PK.... I've already made a pitch...

Report this comment

Featured Broker Partners