Use access key #2 to skip to page content.

Can somebody help me...?



August 03, 2009 – Comments (10) | RELATED TICKERS: FOE

I've got a problem and need some help.

I own shares of Ferro Corp. (FOE), and don't know what to do right now. Got some for the first time on 7/15/09 at $2+ (doubled my money since then) , added some more just last week (had a nice gain since than too), and now...

They are reporting earnings on Wednesday morning, and I have a feeling they'll beat expectations. But what if they don't...  FOE's up almost 200% since beginning of July...

I think I can be up a lot on Wednesday, or down a lot...

What do I do...


I think I'm just going to hold and wait as FOE is still fairly cheap, and has a good product/solutions portfolio...


10 Comments – Post Your Own

#1) On August 03, 2009 at 11:47 PM, SolarisKing (< 20) wrote:

set a stop? You seem to have plenty of room to play with, so set it down 10% or so, if you are afraid of a crash.

You could maybe set a stop for half your shares, and set a buy under it?

just talkin, 'cause you asked.

Or of course, if it is a really great stock, you could just buy more when it dips !

Report this comment
#2) On August 03, 2009 at 11:53 PM, dragonLZ (70.08) wrote:

Thanks. Will decide tomorrow afternoon.

Report this comment
#3) On August 04, 2009 at 12:21 AM, topsecret09 (83.94) wrote:

Buy on the rumor,sell on the news.......  Especially If you have a double !!!!   Like Solaris said, If you want to set a stop on a percentage basis It's best to use a "trailing stop".   Jim

Report this comment
#4) On August 04, 2009 at 12:22 AM, awallejr (56.95) wrote:

You could sell half and just let the rest ride too.  At that point you are playing with the "house's money."  Or just put in that stop loss like solaris suggested.

Report this comment
#5) On August 04, 2009 at 12:28 AM, awallejr (56.95) wrote:

I did a little further research (value line covers it).  It actually is a nice company longer term.  I think Solaris's advice is the best.  Think I will green thumb it too lol.

Report this comment
#6) On August 04, 2009 at 1:07 AM, BigFatBEAR (28.54) wrote:

FOE looks quite sick fundamentally. Hope you only have capital in it that you're completely willing to lose!

If I were in your boat, I'd either hold FOE until the next bull market (5+ years) knowing that it's high-risk and high-reward bet, or I'd sell it now at a great gain and get into something safer, that pays a better dividend and have the peace of mind.

I'm personally quite conservative and risk-averse, so I'd choose the latter.

Hope this helps.

Report this comment
#7) On August 04, 2009 at 1:10 AM, UltraContrarian (30.15) wrote:

I don't like it.  Too much debt and the last two quarters have been pretty brutal.  Seems like the kind of company you just KNOW will get clobbered once we finally see a short term top.

If you really can make the case for FOE as one of the cheapest, safest stocks on the market, sell half now.  If you're not sure, sell it all now.

Report this comment
#8) On August 04, 2009 at 1:18 AM, awallejr (56.95) wrote:

Why safest?  Depends on his age and time frame.  Short term the company has issues.  Long term (4+ years) the company could be selling in the 20s per value line prognostication.  The stop loss covers him well enough to protect his profits.  Of course he could just sell half and let the house money ride, but then he has to decide where to invest that half he sold.

Report this comment
#9) On August 04, 2009 at 12:23 PM, dragonLZ (70.08) wrote:

Some great suggestions. Thanks.

I'll probably set a stop 10% below the price at the end of the day today (even though I'm tempted to buy more as FOE's slightly down today).

If it goes up tomorrow, I'll probably set a stop for half of my shares, and will continue playing with the "house's money", as awalljer said.


I'm not a safe investors so the suggestions from my bear friends are not really helping. I'm convinced this is just a beginning of a huge bull market...

p.s. 2

topsecret09, Are you there? Would like to ask you something.

Report this comment
#10) On August 04, 2009 at 12:32 PM, dragonLZ (70.08) wrote:

OOPS, I said FOE is down today (it was when I checked this morning), but I see it's up 9.5% now (12:31 PM EST)...

Report this comment

Featured Broker Partners