Use access key #2 to skip to page content.

catoismymotor (38.90)

Don't Get Too Worked Up over Bin Laden's Death

Recs

19

May 02, 2011 – Comments (29)

The death of Osama Bin Laden has not been greatly exaggerated. But upside to his death may be.

Yes, he is dead. On this occasion I believe it to be so. One less rat in the house is always good. But even if the rat killed was the mother of all the others it is still just one rat. You have all the others (splinter groups/franchises) still running lose. The question I have is what will the offspring do now that mother rat is gone? Will they lose heart, close shop? Or will they become angry and take revenge on the exterminator?

We need to go about our lives after today's news as though nothing has changed because it changes nothing in the short term. I imagine that diplomatic maneuvers are currently underway to make some progress toward mending some fences between the USA and, well, everybody we've made unhappy over the past decade. Diplomacy is a slow art. In time perhaps this news will lead to improved relations, a better world. But not today, tomorrow or even next year.

The cynical, but well meaning,

Cato

P.S. - On a personal note I know the news of Bin Laden's death would have impacted me more deeply if this day had come five years ago. Up to then I had hopes killing the baddy would have made a difference. But since 2006 I concluded he was already dead or retired and living it up like a Bond villian. As a Bond villian it turned out to be. He was living in a military town, in Pakistan! You can't do that kind of thing without protection from on high. Our people must have leaned really hard on their people to allow the raid to happen. Imagine if a foreign power decided to try something like this just a few miles from West Point without our okay.

29 Comments – Post Your Own

#1) On May 02, 2011 at 4:07 PM, 4everlost (29.50) wrote:

When you refer to a Bond villian do you mean Micheal Milken?

Report this comment
#2) On May 02, 2011 at 4:09 PM, Seano67 (41.26) wrote:

I agree 100%. I'm glad he's gone, but feel his death is mostly a symbolic thing, because there are plenty of others who share the exact same twisted mindset as bin Laden held, and I'm sure they'll be glad to step up and further their sick agenda in his absence. What I'm really hoping is that this provides further impetus to get our troops out of Afghanistan this summer, but I'm afraid I'll have to see that in order to believe it.

So like you say, not much has changed. My life certainly hasn't. I just want our troops out of that hellhole, and things aren't going to be right in my mind until that occurs. 

Report this comment
#3) On May 02, 2011 at 4:12 PM, catoismymotor (38.90) wrote:

4everlost, good one. :)

I had Ernst Blofeld in mind when I was typing.

Report this comment
#4) On May 02, 2011 at 5:02 PM, kdakota630 (29.81) wrote:

Usama’s Dead, But the Reaction?

Report this comment
#5) On May 02, 2011 at 5:06 PM, blesto (31.64) wrote:

Personally I'm glad it was finally done. Done a little to late though I'm afraid.

Right after 9/11 we went into Afganistan and were having success and then we were sidetracked and diverted to Iraq for no good reason.

We never finished what we started in Afganistan. We could've really been established there with a permanent base with the Afganies liking us better while we helped to improve their infrastructure and standard of living just by being there being good neighbors. We did it in Europe and Japan. Why not Afganistan? To late now though.  G.W.Bush could've got it done, but Noooooooooooooooo... He had to go into Iraq on bad advise to redeem his Father's legacy.

If G.W. would've finished Afganistan first before even thinking about Iraq, he would've more than likely got Bin Laden and left office with a feather in his cap, smelling like a rose. Instead, I believe this backward thinking makes him look like a Buffoon. When he went into Iraq before finishing what we started, I lost all respect for him. Not to mention how out of hand some of the detention centers were. No discipline or honor there as far as I'm concerned.

Now, yes now, Obama can and will use this to strengthen his campaign in 2012. 

Put that in your pipe and smoke it!

Ahem, sorry to ramble on like that.

Report this comment
#6) On May 02, 2011 at 5:13 PM, smartmuffin (< 20) wrote:

I'm not sure Pakistan really blessed it.  My personal guess is that their policy hadn't changed, but Obama was getting desperate enough for good publicity that he said "screw them, do it anyway" knowing that he's immune from criticism from the left about violating national soverignty or whatever.

The reason it couldn't happen here without our okay is because we're goddamn America and they're Pakistan.  Come on dude, you can't really do a role reversal like that!

Report this comment
#7) On May 02, 2011 at 6:50 PM, ChrisGraley (30.25) wrote:

I am kinda interested in what Trump says about this one. He's been calling Obama a wimp for a while.

Report this comment
#8) On May 03, 2011 at 1:43 AM, awallejr (82.72) wrote:

Ding dong the witch is dead.  Kind of annoyed at Pakistan since it is hard to believe they didn't notice what was going on in that compound. But then again you would have thought the nearby Paki forces would have responded to a 40 minute gunfight.  So who knows.

Bin Laden uses a woman as a shield they say. May Satan greet him "warmly."

Report this comment
#9) On May 03, 2011 at 7:54 AM, whereaminow (42.76) wrote:

Do not gloat when your enemy falls; when they stumble, do not let your heart rejoice, or the Lord will see and disapprove and turn his wrath away from them." - Proverbs 24:17 David in Qatar

Report this comment
#10) On May 03, 2011 at 9:46 AM, Turfscape (40.96) wrote:

awallejr wrote:
"But then again you would have thought the nearby Paki forces would have responded to a 40 minute gunfight."

I truly hope that you didn't realize that "Paki" is a rather offensive, derogatory slur used primarily to denigrate and marginalize people of South Asian descent.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, here. But now that you know, I do hope you'll be a bit more mindful in the future.

Report this comment
#11) On May 03, 2011 at 10:22 AM, catoismymotor (38.90) wrote:

Smartmuffin,

The reason it couldn't happen here without our okay is because we're goddamn America and they're Pakistan.  Come on dude, you can't really do a role reversal like that!

Yes I can. I can compare two soverign nations, with large nuclear arsenals, with capital cities close to premier government military schools.

How peculiar is it that no one from the Pakistani military sent any forces to the hellacious firefight that went on for forty minutes just down the road from their version of West Point? How do you restrain tens of thousands of military personnel while foreign heliocopters land in their city and start a forty minute military engagement at the mysterious private compound? Because the chain of command said to stand down. This action was allowed to happen.  

What was the motivation for Pakistan to let this happen? Well, I think it comes down to money. We give $3 billion dollars a year in aide to Pakistan. They would fold, cease to have a government, if we withdrew our finacial support. I think we sweetened the pot or decided to threaten them with a reduction in said support if they did not see things our way.

Pakistan is now in an embarassing position. They let Bin Laden call the country's largest military city home for a number of years. Keep in mind this is the same military that said they had looked for him, that he must be in the hard to access hills and mountians to the west, that are full of Sand People and Jawas. Now what do the do? I think they STFU about this for a while, take the greenbacks.

 

Report this comment
#12) On May 03, 2011 at 10:29 AM, eddietheinvestor (< 20) wrote:

It was a team effort, with Obama making the decision to have bin Laden killed, but finding the location with the information from Gitmo interrogations that Bush supported but that Obama said he would never use.  Without Obama giving the order, it would never have been done.  With Bush agreeing to the interrogation techniques to garner valuable information, it would never have been done.  Kudos to both gentlemen, but al Quaeda still exists. 

Report this comment
#13) On May 03, 2011 at 10:47 AM, catoismymotor (38.90) wrote:

Oh, and deciding that Geronimo is a good code name for OBL is tacky. It dirties the legacy of the real man.

I think Casper or Claude Rains would have been better.

Report this comment
#14) On May 03, 2011 at 10:57 AM, smartmuffin (< 20) wrote:

cato,

I don't think the fact that they have nukes and we have nukes automatically makes it a contest of equals.  Although, I agree with you that they were ordered to stand down and allow it to happen; however, I disagree with the administration's claim that they were somehow "cooperative."

 I believe they knew Bin Laden was there, but neither passed that information along to us nor gave us express permission to go get him.  However, they'd have to be foolish not to recognize the possibility of America finding it out without their help, and going in to get him without their permission.  In that case, they have a choice between direct military engagement against United States Special Forces and "standing down" and letting it happen, as you said.  Given the global unpopularity of Bin Laden, and the economic factors you mentioned, it seems like an easy choice to me.  I don't think they gave permission, but there was likely a standing order of "If the Americans show up at this compound, just let them be."

Report this comment
#15) On May 03, 2011 at 11:01 AM, kdakota630 (29.81) wrote:

Perhaps "John Edward".

Report this comment
#16) On May 03, 2011 at 11:11 AM, catoismymotor (38.90) wrote:

#14 - Hey, I make what arguements I can when I can. It is nice we are on the same page about the rest of it.

 

#15 - LMAO! I almost fell out of my chair. Thanks, that was a great.

Report this comment
#17) On May 03, 2011 at 11:15 AM, kdakota630 (29.81) wrote:

catoismymotor

Glad you liked it.  I have my moments.

Report this comment
#18) On May 03, 2011 at 11:27 AM, catoismymotor (38.90) wrote:

All the footage I've seen of Americans gettin' jiggy to the news that OBL is now fish food shows young people, ages 18-24. It's like Bonaroo broke out at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave and Times Square. Isn't this also the same age group that has been hit hardest by this recession? We have a bunch of unemployed/underemployed kids celebrating death before the cameras at an hour when they should be doing anything else.

Thanks recession.

Report this comment
#19) On May 03, 2011 at 11:56 AM, catoismymotor (38.90) wrote:

I had a better feeling about things when Saddam Hussein was captured and how he met his end. Once upon a time I would have been satisfied with the "two taps" to the head OSB received. I think since he was not captured alive and made to answer for himself I am lacking a sense of satisfaction.

I have dwelled on the passing of this festering codpiece for way too long. The weather is beautiful. I need to go to my favorite spot for a beer and a chicken phili.

 

Report this comment
#20) On May 03, 2011 at 12:27 PM, eldemonio (98.74) wrote:

In one broadcast I think I heard the crowd singing the chorus from the Steam Classic - Nah Nah Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye.  

Why do we need to taunt terrorists like a high school basketball team that we've just blown out?

I think OBL got what he deserved - but you won't see me celebrating in the streets - It's just not classy. 

 

 

Report this comment
#21) On May 03, 2011 at 12:36 PM, kdakota630 (29.81) wrote:

eldemonio

Yeah, I heard the same singing.

While I was happy to hear that Bin Laden is dead.  I celebrated quietly by having a beer at home.  I seem to do a lot of "celebrating" it would appear.

Report this comment
#22) On May 03, 2011 at 12:44 PM, leohaas (35.73) wrote:

Stop being the Party Pooper!

Next week is early enough to come up with some kind of analysis. In the mean time, let's be grateful to all those involved in this event. Keep in mind, that most of those who contributed to this success cannot brag about it because they are sworn to secrecy.

As far as the stock market is concerned (and this still is a blog about investing), this was pretty much a non-event. But for me and most of the people around me, this is BIG. 

Report this comment
#23) On May 03, 2011 at 1:26 PM, TDRH (99.76) wrote:

"When you refer to a Bond villian do you mean Micheal Milken?"

Thank you, I needed a laugh!

Report this comment
#24) On May 03, 2011 at 1:59 PM, catoismymotor (38.90) wrote:

Re #19

Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. - Romans 12:17

 

Report this comment
#25) On May 03, 2011 at 3:52 PM, awallejr (82.72) wrote:

 whereaminow

I never said I was perfect.  And having endured his attempts on my life, I sure as hell am happy.

 Turfscape

Was abbreviating, not trying to disparage.  Never heard that such was so.

Report this comment
#26) On May 03, 2011 at 4:08 PM, kdakota630 (29.81) wrote:

catoismymotor

Re #19

Talking to yourself?

Report this comment
#27) On May 03, 2011 at 4:12 PM, catoismymotor (38.90) wrote:

Kdakota630,

Re: #25

Yes. It is just a thought I felt compelled to put out there, for better or worse.

Report this comment
#28) On May 04, 2011 at 11:50 AM, whereaminow (42.76) wrote:

It turns out, there was no wife, there was no human shield, there was no weapon. 

David in Qatar

Report this comment
#29) On May 04, 2011 at 1:55 PM, awallejr (82.72) wrote:

Guess he was a peach of a guy.  But it turned out there were women and there were children killed by him on 9/11 and elsewhere.

Report this comment

Featured Broker Partners


Advertisement