Use access key #2 to skip to page content.

EPA awards Energy Star to 15 of 20 fictitious programs

Recs

31

March 27, 2010 – Comments (12)

Tax money well spent.  This is government regulation in a nutshell.  Without proper cost accounting, which can only happen in a competitive market with property rights, fraud and incompetence reign.

Nobody ever says, "I want to be a regulator when I grow up!" 

David in Qatar

Fake Products and Companies Certified by Energy Star

The Government Accountability Office Punk'd Energy Star recently by submitting fake products and companies for certification. The Environmental Protection Agency's arbiters of efficiency standards rubber-stamped 15 out of 20 bogus products and a handful of fake firms became Energy Star Partners. Here are three of our favorite fabrications.

READ MORE

Energy Star

ENERGY STAR is a government-backed program helping businesses and individuals protect the environment through superior energy efficiency.

12 Comments – Post Your Own

#1) On March 27, 2010 at 4:06 PM, catoismymotor (38.39) wrote:

It boggles the mind!

Report this comment
#2) On March 27, 2010 at 4:25 PM, whereaminow (20.95) wrote:

Cato,

I gotta get me one of them Gasoline-Powered Alarm Clocks!  Now if that doesn't just sound environmentally friendly, I don't what does :)

David in Qatar

Report this comment
#3) On March 27, 2010 at 4:36 PM, IIcx (< 20) wrote:

A Gasoline-Powered Alarm Clock ;P

You have to wonder what Energy Star employment qualifications look like.

Report this comment
#4) On March 27, 2010 at 4:43 PM, IIcx (< 20) wrote:

EPA/DOE Response to Recent GAO Report

http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=news.gao_report_response

The United States Government Accountability Office (GAO) reported that in the summer of 2009 it launched an investigation to determine whether effective controls existed to prevent fraud and abuse in the ENERGY STAR program. EPA takes this report very seriously. The American people can have confidence in the ENERGY STAR label - a voluntary program that helps consumers save money by using energy efficient products. In fact, a review last year found that 98 percent of the products tested met or exceeded the ENERGY STAR requirements, and last year alone, Americans with the help of ENERGY STAR saved $17 billion on their energy bills."

The program uses a series of checks to ensure consumers are getting products that cut energy costs and greenhouse gas emissions. One of the reasons the system has worked during the first 18 years of the program is that manufacturers have a market incentive to test competitors' products and report violations, which supports the program's own independent testing, verification and enforcement initiatives."

We welcome all efforts, internal or external, to improve the program, and this report raises important issues. That's why we have started an enhanced testing program and have already taken enforcement actions against companies that have violated the rules. Consumers can continue to trust the ENERGY STAR to save energy and money and protect the environment."

Report this comment
#5) On March 27, 2010 at 5:28 PM, whereaminow (20.95) wrote:

David in Qatar responds to EPA/DOE Response

The United States Government Accountability Office (GAO) reported that in the summer of 2009 it launched an investigation to determine whether effective controls existed to prevent fraud and abuse in the ENERGY STAR program. EPA takes this report very seriously, but will not fire a single employee involved in this oversight.  We expect, however, that despite our inaction, our standards of quality will magically improve.

 The American people that embrace the Nanny State can have confidence in the ENERGY STAR label - a program that is voluntary for business, but whose revenues derive from confiscation of taxes from private citizens including the businesses that use the program.  Energy Star has no discernible impact on consumers, who would choose energy efficient products on their own if they calculated that they would save money from them. In fact, a review last year found that 98 percent of the products tested met or exceeded the ENERGY STAR requirements, which just goes to show how completely unnecessary this program is in the first place. Yet somehow, we have the gall to claim that last year alone, Americans with the help of ENERGY STAR saved $17 billion on their energy bills.  We have absolutely no idea how much Energy Star contrbuted to this figure."

David in Qatar
Chairman of the Truth in Government Adversiting Campaign

Report this comment
#6) On March 27, 2010 at 5:35 PM, kdakota630 (29.49) wrote:

I just read about this on John Stossel's blog.  Unbelievable.

Report this comment
#7) On March 27, 2010 at 5:47 PM, whereaminow (20.95) wrote:

Just for comedy value, I'd like to see the 5 that didn't make the cut. Was Johnny Human Torch not considered environmentally friendly enough?

David in Qatar

Report this comment
#8) On March 27, 2010 at 10:02 PM, ChrisGraley (29.72) wrote:

I'm boycotting the feather duster, fly strip space heater, air purifier thingy because I'm sure it contributes to global warming.

Also I'm suing the company, because I believe that the feather duster element may cause health problems and since we still don't have tort reform, I should make a bundle.

I'm suing the main company in a seperate suit and also the company that makes the fly strip element as well, because it's inhumane to flies. I'm an animal rights activist!

I'm suing the feather duster element company for bigotry. It's intended to target gay flies and flies that are in this country illegally. The blue color is designed to represent the Democratic party. The Energy Star rating is also designed to represent the forward thinking group. Unsuspecting flies are led to believe that this is a safe air purifier, and all of God's creatures deserve fresh, clean air. (Even Gay and Illegal flies.)

Last I'm suing the government! The government is clearly sponsoring Eugenics for Gay and Illegal flies! Clearly this is an injustice that must be punished!

Flies are treated like second class citizens! This brings them back to Feudal times when everything was controlled by the Lord of the Flies!

This cannot be tolerated!

Maggots Unite! 

Report this comment
#9) On March 28, 2010 at 1:58 AM, foolofpicks (< 20) wrote:

This is unaccepable. We must quadruple the EPA's funding so this doesn't continue to persist.

Report this comment
#10) On March 28, 2010 at 3:08 AM, jdlech (< 20) wrote:

So obviously, we should kill all energy efficiency incentives and programs because they are just wastes of money.

 Where did you say you were from Dave?

Report this comment
#11) On March 29, 2010 at 2:37 PM, nzsvz9 (< 20) wrote:

I smell a promotion for the head of the EPA Energy Star department! That kind of efficiency gets rewarded in our system of government.

Let's see ... what could be next for this fine bureaucrat?

1. Department of Defense - Could claim battle victories where we have no engagements. Body counts? Yellow-cake intel? 15 out of 20 battles with Al-Quaeda won - now with 20% more insurgents!

2. Health and Human Services - Could certify your diagnosis without requiring you to go into CAT scanner or MRI machine. Think of the savings! Time to see your doctorcrat ... next paitent please! (Send in another victim of Industrial Disease)

3. Treasury - Certainly they could use someone over there to add zeros to columns without creating any real wealth. Perhaps as Greek bailout liasion or some other Ponzi scheme. Perhaps he could arrange to have Berine Madoff (sp?) put on retainer - after all he's just misunderstood - perhaps he should be in Congress like the other professional thieves instead of jail.

With government the possibilities are endless - just like government itself!

Known as bureaucrat # nzsvz9

Report this comment
#12) On March 29, 2010 at 2:45 PM, catoismymotor (38.39) wrote:

I am heartbroken to learn that the new blender I just ordered from an EBay store might not actually exist or be good for the planet. I mean, if a 300 bhp internal combustion engine powered blender does not qualify for the Energy Star program then I ask you what will?

Report this comment

Featured Broker Partners


Advertisement