Use access key #2 to skip to page content.

How Many Americans Are On Food Stamps?

Recs

17

December 01, 2009 – Comments (14)

MY COMMENTS: When the US government defaults, you want to make sure, you are living in a safe area...ie away from people, who rely on government assistance. 

14 Comments – Post Your Own

#1) On December 01, 2009 at 7:10 PM, abitare (31.81) wrote:

FYSA- Marc Faber

Report this comment
#2) On December 01, 2009 at 7:15 PM, JakilaTheHun (99.93) wrote:

Those are some scary numbers.

Report this comment
#3) On December 01, 2009 at 8:45 PM, russiangambit (29.14) wrote:

I forgot, where is Faber investing now ?

only 1 in 8 on food stamps? I would've thought it would be more like 20-30%. I would think at least everybody who is unemployed should be onfood stamps, including their families, that alone should be about 20% of the population.

Report this comment
#4) On December 01, 2009 at 9:04 PM, motleyanimal (87.12) wrote:

Many low income people live in extended family groups and have multiple sources of income. A grandmother may get Social Security income, others may work odd jobs or be self-employed, also children may qualify for welfare and food stamps even if the parents do not and all of them share living expenses.

Report this comment
#5) On December 02, 2009 at 11:43 AM, eldemonio (98.79) wrote:

Working at a local grocery store in the ghetto while in college opened my eyes to the reality of food stamps.  Little fat bastards supporting their junk food habit with their parents' EBT card.

At least 25% of EBT dollars were spent on things like Cheetos, soda, and candy bars.

 

Report this comment
#6) On December 02, 2009 at 3:50 PM, USNHR (31.59) wrote:

Eldemonio,

 That can't be right, the government wants to cure obesity, not contribute to it, just look at their healthcare bill.

Report this comment
#7) On December 02, 2009 at 3:53 PM, PeteysTired (< 20) wrote:

"Little fat bastards supporting their junk food habit"

That's cold.

Report this comment
#8) On December 02, 2009 at 3:59 PM, outoffocus (22.79) wrote:

"Little fat bastards supporting their junk food habit"

That's cold.

Yea I thought the same thing when I read that.  That statement screams of the ignorance of someone who has absolutely no idea what goes on in poor communities.

Report this comment
#9) On December 02, 2009 at 5:15 PM, eldemonio (98.79) wrote:

That statement screams of the ignorance of someone who has absolutely no idea what goes on in poor communities.

outoftouch,

I suppose you have more experience working in poor communities?  I suppose you know what is going on?  Please enlighten me to the realities of how food stamps are not abused and are always spent on nutrient rich foods. 

Get real.

Report this comment
#10) On December 02, 2009 at 5:38 PM, outoffocus (22.79) wrote:

eldemonio

I suppose you have more experience working in poor communities?  I suppose you know what is going on?  Please enlighten me to the realities of how food stamps are not abused and are always spent on nutrient rich foods.

Actually I work in a food bank in a poor community (every other saturday).  Therefore I know firsthand what these people go through.

1. If you are worrying about how your are going to keep the lights on, feed your kids, and maintain the roof over your head, you are not necessarily worrying about how many calories are in your Kraft macaroni and cheese you are forced to feed your kids.

2. Its a proven fact that junk food is cheaper than healthy foods.  Therefore if a struggling mother has to choose between the cheap crappy food over the expensive healthy food, the her choice is a no-brainer.  Supermarkets in poor neighborhoods don't have an incentive to sell alot of healthy food in their stores because their target demographic can't afford it.  Thats why the government is trying to put programs in place to expand access to healthy foods to poor communities. I challenge you to visit a corner store in a poor neighborhood and check the junkfood to healthy food ratio. Some of that crap these people are forced to eat you wouldnt feed your dog.  

3.  You speak as if these people recieve thousands of dollars a month in foods stamps.  If these people are lucky they'll recieve a couple hundred dollars, and even then they recieved that much because they have way more mouths to feed, further stretching their food budget.

4. Poor people are generally uneducated. They generally have know idea what a transfat is.  They don't know how many calories per day they are supposed to eat. They have no knowledge of healthy alternatives to that 25 cent bag of cheetos.

5. And lastly, poor people tend to have a lower sense of self worth. They feel as though they have no choice but to take what they can get and therefore don't demand much more for themselves. That mentality affects every aspect of their lives, from their relationships to their eating habits.

Get real. 

I think I'm about as real as you are going to get on this website when it comes to this subject.

outoftouch,

All I said was that he is ignorant of what really goes on in poor communities, which is the truth. If the truth hurts then let it sting.

Report this comment
#11) On December 02, 2009 at 6:45 PM, eldemonio (98.79) wrote:

outtolunch,

Thanks for your every other Saturday perspective, you truly do have a firm grasp of the harsh realities that poverty stricken people face.  Get real.

I challenge you to visit a corner store in a poor neighborhood and check the junkfood to healthy food ratio.

I worked in a corner store in a poor neighborhood for three years while in college - challenge accepted and completed.  Have you ever seen a family roll up in an Escalade, stock up on chips, soda, and candy, then pull out an EBT card to pay for it?  I've witnessed that exact situation so many times that I can't even begin to count them. 

Some of that crap these people are forced to eat you wouldnt feed your dog.  

Are you serious?  I'll grant you that our corner store didn't have shelves stocked with organic food, or high end options, but to suggest that poor families are being force fed junk food is ridiculous.  Everybody has a choice in what they choose to buy.  Nobody is force fed anything.

They have no knowledge of healthy alternatives to that 25 cent bag of cheetos. 

I know, those poor, poor, stupid people don't know any better.  Get real.  Do you think my first comment is as insulting as your assumption that poor people are stupid?  Poor people are so stupid  they don't realize that vegetables are better for you than chips, soda, and candy bars?  When was the last time you bought a bag of Cheetos, 1972?  I digress. Get real. 

I know your every other Saturday has given you insight into the plight of the impoverished, but you know nothing about how the food stamp program is scammed and how our tax money is often times spent on unhealthy (not uneducated) choices.

Report this comment
#12) On December 02, 2009 at 7:30 PM, russiangambit (29.14) wrote:

Well, intresting discussion on the plight of the poor in the US. To me, it is a fascinating topic.

First of all, the poor in the US have no idea how good they got it and they don't want to know because then they would have no excuse to complain.

Second, they are missing something, je ne sais quoi, the will to live? They don't care, they have some sort of apathy that prevents them from doing anything productive with their lives. What are they waiting for, they have only one life and they don't care to make it better? I don't understand it. Are they waiting to go to heaven or something?

When I drive through poor area, everything is in disrepair. People in Russia can only dream of the houses the poor in Houston have. If only they could get this house, it would've been painted, lawn mowed, the house cleaned and veggies growing in the garden in no time. Here is your solution to the lack of organic food. And it would turn into a middle class neigh bourhood in no time. All is needed is a bit of cleaning and a change in attitutude. Russians don't wait to die and go to heaven to make better life for themselves. They either drink themseleves to death from desperation or they do everything they can to make the life even a little bit better.

But the lethargic apathy of americans that is something I am not familiar with.

Report this comment
#13) On December 02, 2009 at 11:19 PM, outoffocus (22.79) wrote:

eldemonio

I'd love to continue this little cat fight with you but I've got better things to do with my life so i'll keep it short. 

Yes a few people abuse the food stamp program just like there are a few people that abuse the tax system and any other system in this country.  That doesnt mean that every poor person abuses the program. 

but you know nothing about how the food stamp program is scammed and how our tax money is often times spent on unhealthy (not uneducated) choices.

You don't know what I know.  You worked at one corner store and you think you can label a whole group of people based on your one experience. Nice...

The rest of your comments show that you're so focused on being rude (calling people bastards) and making your point that you havent even completely read what I said. Therefore I wont address them.  Have a good night. 

Report this comment
#14) On December 02, 2009 at 11:48 PM, eldemonio (98.79) wrote:

outofarguments,

You don't know what I know about what you know.  Good night.

Report this comment

Featured Broker Partners


Advertisement