Use access key #2 to skip to page content.

starbucks4ever (97.68)

Idiot of the day: the American people

Recs

3

November 02, 2010 – Comments (13)

The people win today's Idiot award collectively by going to the polls to vote. 

13 Comments – Post Your Own

#1) On November 02, 2010 at 1:07 AM, badnicolez (< 20) wrote:

Sore loser much?

Report this comment
#2) On November 02, 2010 at 1:12 AM, FleaBagger (29.28) wrote:

You're just jealous because you can't.

Report this comment
#3) On November 02, 2010 at 1:58 AM, BillyTG (29.21) wrote:

I agree. Voting validates the broke down system.  Politicians want you to vote so they can say how great democracy is, to continue the charade.

Which corporate-funded candidate will you choose?

Report this comment
#4) On November 02, 2010 at 6:49 AM, outoffocus (22.81) wrote:

The problem is not that they vote, its that they vote like mindless drones thoroughly brainwashed by the mass media, making their voting wholly ineffective.  Now if the American people actually knew how to think for themselves...

Report this comment
#5) On November 02, 2010 at 7:10 AM, devoish (98.71) wrote:

I avgree with outoffocus.

 

Although public pension funds, along with most other investors, have experienced sub‐par returns over the past decade, median public pension fund returns over longer periods exceed the assumed rates used by mostplans. As shown in Figure 1, median investment returns for the 20‐ and 25‐year periods ended 12/31/09 exceed the most‐used investment return assumption of 8.0 percent. For example, for the 25‐year period ended12/31/09, the median investment return was 9.25 percent.

Report this comment
#6) On November 02, 2010 at 7:52 AM, Mary953 (79.97) wrote:

I disagree completely!   If you don't vote, then you have no right to complain over what you get in the way of government in the next few years.  The people on this website probably know more and care more about the health of our nation and the economy than most - and you want to sit it out?  That doesn't prove any point.  It just gives your right to vote to someone who doesn't know as much or care as much.

Remember, the local governments being voted in (that means your representatives to your state houses) are the ones who will draw up the districts for the next 10 years.  New census, new districts!  You may not even have the right to vote for your favorite representative next time around.  The district may not exist.  It's your one shot, people!  Don't blow it!

Report this comment
#7) On November 02, 2010 at 8:08 AM, lemoneater (82.21) wrote:

One vote isn't much, but I'm glad for the opportunity. However, some important positions are uneffected by my votes like the Fed and nearer to home the city administrator. I feel quite frustrated sometimes.

zloj, don't be discouraged and wonder if what you do really matters. Just keep doing right yourself. The fact that you care and are bothered by corruption and incompetence as shown in your numerous blogs cheers me up immensely. Have a good day!

(I think I just realize why I enjoy the Motley Fool so much--my votes here matter. I can encourage others by voting on their blogs and participating in the topics).

Report this comment
#8) On November 02, 2010 at 8:23 AM, catoismymotor (42.68) wrote:

This is more proof that having a high caps score does not mean squat.

Report this comment
#9) On November 02, 2010 at 9:24 AM, brickcityman (< 20) wrote:

You can always vote "nobody".  Personally I'd say that choice is very appealing in more than a few of the races in my district this year.

 

My, perhaps naive, hope is that seeing the % relegated to "other" grow might either signal the major parties to change their tune or better yet embolden other alternatives.

 

Give'm the "third finger" vote nobody.

Report this comment
#10) On November 02, 2010 at 11:37 AM, BillyTG (29.21) wrote:

@Mary953, if you DO vote, you have no right to complain. It's YOUR fault! 

Listen to this for a better description:

Report this comment
#11) On November 02, 2010 at 2:19 PM, Jbay76 (< 20) wrote:

Actually, a refusal to cast a vote is indeed a vote.  Its a vote that says you do not approve of any candidate.  Voting for the lesser of two evils, or 3, is truly throwing away your vote becuase you are not choosing a candidate you realy like and beleive in but rather the one that pisses you of the least.  Is that how Americans should come to see their democratic system, a periodic selection of the lesser of two or 3 evils?

I will not vote until a candidate is worthy, which means I have to continue waiting.  But, do not think that by not voting you are wasting your right as an American becuase you are using your right to vote.  What you are saying is that you do not want any of the potential candidates elected and someone better has to step up. 

 

 

Report this comment
#12) On November 02, 2010 at 3:19 PM, rfaramir (29.25) wrote:

Mary wrote "If you don't vote, then you have no right to complain"

I used to feel that way, too, but if you think about it, it's plain wrong. If the government does something wrong to you, you can complain, period!

If you vote Democrat, they win, and you get taxed to death, you're stupid, but you can still complain!

If you vote Republican, they lose, you get taxed to death, you can complain righteously.

If you vote Democrat, they lose, you get taxed anyway (just a little less), you can still complain.

If you vote Republican, they win, you get taxed more than you thought you would, you better complain.

If TSA agents violate your person, you should complain (after the trip, unless you can really afford not to take the trip). No matter who you voted for.

If regulations prohibit you from firing a bad employee, you should complain, no matter who you voted for.

If enviro-wacko lawsuits prevent you from building on your own land, you should complain, no matter who you voted for, even though if you voted Green or Democrat you deserve it.

Wrong is wrong and should be opposed. "Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito" http://mises.org Let the wrongs wake you up to the fact that our government is too large and unaccountable, no matter how you vote. Vote smarter or don't vote, I don't care, but don't stop opposing evil.

Report this comment
#13) On November 02, 2010 at 6:46 PM, Mary953 (79.97) wrote:

rfaramir - I can agree with what you say.  I simply hope that the people on this website will take the time to register their opinions at the polls because I believe that they can and do have a better grasp of economic issues that effect us.

Billy - As much as I enjoyed George Carlin, he no longer has to worry about votes.  I hope he is now in a Theocracy run by the most benevolent and loving of all "Theo"crats.  But in that clip, he was still a comedian playing to a crowd.  If I want to see an actor playing to a crowd, I can look to 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. for a show that has already run too long.

I promised myself I would not go there.  Sorry about that - feel free to attack...but only if you got out and voted to support your convictions.

Report this comment

Featured Broker Partners


Advertisement