Use access key #2 to skip to page content.

ChrisGraley (30.25)

Idiots

Recs

64

June 10, 2010 – Comments (36)

Ok, I'm going to start by calling myself an idiot.

I'm an idiot about a lot of stuff, but I won't admit what that stuff is, for fear that it will be used against me later. Some people know what that stuff is here and some people think that they do.

If you think that I'm an idiot now, I was really an idiot when I was young! I believed everything that I saw on TV. I got my advice about money from people that were broke and I got my advice about life from people my age that hadn't lived it yet. I did have a few things going for me though. I came from a poor but good home. I had a work ethic, motivation, and support system. (All thanks to my parents) I was exposed to a whole ton of idiots when I was young! I followed a few of those idiots blindly and regretted it, but the many non-idiots in my life gave me enough advice to filter out a lot of the destruction that other idiots would have caused.

I also see idiots all around me! Are you a liberal? Rush Limbaugh is an idiot! Conservative? Pelosi is an idiot! For anyone against the Tea Party, Palin is an idiot. In fact, most of the people that your party thinks are idiots are actually idiots! You are right! Do you feel better?

The problem is that most of what the majority of people that don't agree with you, think that the people that you are following are idiots. Those people are right! Now there are exceptions in every party and I can pick someone out of every party as brilliant, but these people are the minority in your party, just like every other party.

The fact that there are parties at all though, means that you, yourself are an idiot. You live in a world where in order to get 1 thing, you have to buy everything.

When you, yourself wake up and stop being used. Stop following any party line. Stop being a puppet and start thinking for yourself about everything, you might break free from being an idiot.

I'm a guy that just votes the best that he can and gets disappointed every year. My union doesn't tell me on how to vote on abortion or climate change and my church doesn't tell me how to vote on on education or intelligent design.

I'm nothing special. I'm still an idiot. I've worked for everything that I've got so far. I'll give it all away to give my kids a better life though. Most of you here want to celebrate and give the bill to my kids. I'm against that. I'm different than most of you, because I'm not following anyone flashing the neon free money sign. I realize that my kids pay the bill.

I'm an idiot.

You're an idiot.

Our political parties are filled with idiots!

I'm proposing 1 thing.

If you are a liberal, be a stupid liberal.

If you are conservative, be a stupid conservative.

Don't agree with everything just to get one thing.

Stand up and admit the flaws of your party that you don't agree with.

Yes, you lose power and support, but what you gain is giving your children a chance.

They don't have that chance now. 

Those chances were wasted by your parents.

Even if you do the right thing, I think that your kids have an uphill climb.

Their life is going to start out much harder than your's did and I don't think that was what was intended.

Despite your party, you need to grow up now.

Your decisions have been foolish in the past, but your kids shouldn't pay a price.

Set your ego, beliefs, and agenda aside and plan your decisions based on your kids from now on. 

Yes, your parents believed the politicians and screwed everything up, but you believed them too, and screwed it up worse.

Life is full of idiots and we all seem to agree with most of them. 

Maybe a few of us would be tired of being idiots and be satisfied by being stupid.

Just an observation of someone that can't understand the savages.

 

Chris, 

 

 

 

36 Comments – Post Your Own

#1) On June 10, 2010 at 3:14 AM, obsoleteaccount (33.56) wrote:

Awesome post, I couldnt agree more, and I like the little life story, you seem like a good guy.

Whenever people ask me what my politicla beliefs are, I just say "on what?" And they will say something like, "You know, what party do you side with?" And I just say "on what?" And theyre like "In general what is wrong with you" to which I reply "If you agree with millions upon millions of Americans because they associate with one little word, theres something wrong with YOU"

Also, whats with the role reversal lately? Republicans are the ones tapping your phones and all this crap, isnt that the party that wants no government intervention?

Report this comment
#2) On June 10, 2010 at 3:58 AM, MyDonkey (< 20) wrote:

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are stupider than that." -- George Carlin


Regarding idiots, there'd be a lot fewer of them (and everybody else) if we all jumped on the Voluntary Human Extinction bandwagon:
http://www.vhemt.org/

Report this comment
#3) On June 10, 2010 at 4:31 AM, SnapDave (51.93) wrote:

For a group of people to get big enough to make a difference the message needs to be molded into something they can all mostly agree with, in other words molded until it is idiotic.  How then did humans do so well despite this?  I don't know.  I guess I'm an idiot.

Report this comment
#4) On June 10, 2010 at 5:29 AM, ozzfan1317 (81.83) wrote:

Chris great post and I agree if we could all learn not to blindly fit into a mold like sheep.

Report this comment
#5) On June 10, 2010 at 7:45 AM, devoish (99.07) wrote:

Funny thing Chris,

Then stop referring to the people who reach their own conclusions, different than yours, as the sheep.

Because frankly, every one of you would-be shepherds lose me with every reference to "sheep" "liberals" "do-gooders" "puppets". I have decided that it is far more "idiotic" to believe that Government funding is more corrupting than private industry funding. I have decided that it is "idiotic" to continue to wait for free markets to repair the ills caused by putting all of our energy eggs into one basket especially when there have never been "free markets" at any time in the history of the world. I think it is "idiotic" of elected officials to continue promoting the virtues of "private industry" so far to the extreme right that any risks are ok and too "liberal" (its just us liberals that want to impose our desire for clean water, air and land on your freedoms right?) to support. The assurances from BP and drillers that modern technology has made deepwater drilling safe makes me thankful for the "liberals" who have spent thirty years pointing out that even with new technology, improved processes, etc, that one nuclear boo-boo could still have dire consequences for a lot of people ( is that an "extremist" "exaggeration" by someone you do not want to hear from?).

To think that "free markets" should decide anything when there have never been "free markets"  is not rational thinking.

To think that "improved technology" makes it safe to risk Pennsylvania to a nuclear workers sleepy early monday morning weld is not rational thinking.

To think that the waste from tens of thousands of drilling rigs (CO2) cannot harm the environment we need to survive when the waste from one can wreck miles of coastline in the gulf of mexico is not rational thinking.

To think that mankind cannot poison the air when one look from a satellite shows any entirely different looking Earth (coastal lights) from the one 50 years ago is not rational thinking.

To think that people with lots of money make better decisions than people with only a vote suggests we should have skipped the Revolutionary war thing and left the guy with money (King James) in charge to begin with is not rational thinking.

At least it is not rational to me.

I am not your sheep, or anyone elses. And just because you write something at the beginning of your post, designed to get agreement from your readers, (pelosi, limbaugh, palin are all idiots- something for anyone to agree with) does not convince me to agree with anything else you post. 

And yes, I think the political conclusion that Government officials should get out of industries way has once again been taken way to far right.

Here is some independent thinking for you.

Lazy, shiftless people should get welfare and handouts to survive because of my religous beliefs and desire to not have lazy shiftless people working on anything important to me or wasting limited resources doing shoddy work.

It is not rational thinking to believe that making idiots do work will make that work worth doing.

Regards,

Steven

 

 

 

Report this comment
#6) On June 10, 2010 at 8:15 AM, ChrisGraley (30.25) wrote:

Steven, that was kind of a downer! I asked you to break from the party line a bit and you sing the theme song.

I've never felt as sad for you as I do now.

 

Report this comment
#7) On June 10, 2010 at 9:04 AM, russiangambit (29.49) wrote:

Devoish, the point is that in the end we are all people. We shouldn't be pitted us. vs them. In the end we all want the same things - love, safety, stability for us and our families.

The dems and reps parties are full of demagogues and power hungry people. They are not smarter than us. Why do they think they'll be able to find solutions if you can't? Why should you rely on "government" people to solve anything?

It feels to me that most people are so lost in this world, they don't want to take control of their lives. They'd rather find a bogeyman and hate him iwht a vengeance instead of doing somthing producitve. It is because all on their own they feel  lost and powerless. But as  apart of the mob they find a purpose. This has been known for centuries and politicans expolited this to their advantage. Hitler being on of the most recent and powerful examples. This is not the raod the US should take.

Remember how you guys hated USSR 20-30 years ago? But it were people like me and my family on the other side. On USSR side the same thing was happening, People were under continuous onslaut of propaganda of how evil and greedy and unfair US is.Most of people, however, didn't feel hate towards americans but rather curiousity. We didn't want the war but our government did. The ones in power are always the instigators of fear and hate because it helps them hold on to their power. It is sad that americans don't see it. It is very hard to shake off the brainwashing and propaganda, it is like hypnosis, until the source of it completely urnavels for the whole world to see people will follow it like zombies.

Report this comment
#8) On June 10, 2010 at 9:17 AM, ChrisGraley (30.25) wrote:

Thank you russian,

but in his case I don't think it will help.

Report this comment
#9) On June 10, 2010 at 9:18 AM, binve (< 20) wrote:

That was excellent Chris, thank you.

Report this comment
#10) On June 10, 2010 at 9:40 AM, starbucks4ever (98.98) wrote:

"It is very hard to shake off the brainwashing and propaganda, it is like hypnosis, until the source of it completely urnavels"

I may be speaking for myself, but in my personal opinion, it's not hard at all. You just have to apply the same caution when listening to politicians that you apply when listening to to street peddlers trying to sell you some el cheapo. I may be the only one who thinks that way though, because everybody else seems to be looking for a father figure or a role model to follow.  

 

Report this comment
#11) On June 10, 2010 at 10:01 AM, PDTBiotech (93.02) wrote:

Fascinating.  I agree with a lot, but I think it's totally unrealistic to expect or even hope that people will change, it's simply not in our character.  The raw material of any human society is humans, and after a few thousand years of recorded history it's clear that there is enough selfishness and ignorance in our species that we cannot help but destroy anything we build over the precious few short stretches of time we have been able to keep our $hit together.

Report this comment
#12) On June 10, 2010 at 10:38 AM, AbstractMotion (54.15) wrote:

zloj: That would involve taking personal responsibility for your own actions though, which a lot of people seem to have a certain distaste for these days.  Russiangambit hit the nail on the head with the mob mentality, but it's gone a bit further lately due to growing trend of content customization in our media.  There's a wealth of information out there, freely available, but a lot of people simply don't want to seek it out.  There's a strong instinct to deny what doesn't fit with our perception of the world even if there's overwhelming evidence and we live in a time when it's easier than ever to do so.  The sad part is most people aren't being brainwashed, they're just choosing to accept what's easier for them to handle.  I'm glad we don't live under some despot or dictator, but compared to China where there is firm information control, I just don't feel as sorry for people who are by in large WILLINGLY ignorant of the world around them.

 

I also think the same general desire to deny or discredit anyone presenting contradictory data or concepts.  It's easy to ignore an idiot or vilify some faceless evil corporation.  It's also usually easier to discredit or place blame then it is to go about the often difficult process of fixing a problem.  It's convenient, it's legal, it's easy, so people do it.  It doesn't matter that the planet is heating up or that central planning has failed time and time again, as long as there's someone to blame and some theoretical idea behind it people will cling to it.  Politicians and power brokers love it, it gives them a chance to turn any little disagreement into a severe situation that's a matter of good vs evil.  Noam Chomsky called it manufactured consent, but the consent was there all along, all that was needed was the narrative.

 

Report this comment
#13) On June 10, 2010 at 10:57 AM, ChrisGraley (30.25) wrote:

These are all great responses (-1 response)

I'm very excited that most of you not only picked up on the theme, but expanded it.

This gives me hope for the future.

The thing is, if you want things to change, you have to turn your thoughts into actions though.

I don't want you to change your whole ideology. Just don't follow it blindly.

Question everything and come to your own answers without influence.

Report this comment
#14) On June 10, 2010 at 11:03 AM, kdakota630 (29.81) wrote:

Chris, when you wrote "I'm an idiot, you're an idiot" I thought for sure you were going to follow that up with, "he's an idiot, she's an idiot, wouldn't you like to be an idiot, too?" like the old Dr. Pepper song.

I can relate to a lot of what you wrote, especially the parts where you were talking about your younger years.

I think the all-time stupidest thing I ever said, which for some reason I remember clear as a bell to this day, was, "reading books is stupid when you can just watch the movie."  I was 35 at the time.  Just kidding.  I think I was 12 or so, but that's still pretty stupid.

All in all, another great blog from you, as usual.

Report this comment
#15) On June 10, 2010 at 11:06 AM, binve (< 20) wrote:

kdakota and Chris,

Also the theme prompted this thought from me by Bender from Futurama:

Bender: "Yeah, but everybody's a jerk. You, me, this jerk. That's my philosophy." .

:).

Report this comment
#16) On June 10, 2010 at 11:11 AM, ChrisGraley (30.25) wrote:

Thanks for the chuckle at work binve!

Report this comment
#17) On June 10, 2010 at 11:14 AM, binve (< 20) wrote:

No problem my man :)

Report this comment
#18) On June 10, 2010 at 12:05 PM, catoismymotor (38.90) wrote:

 "You just have to apply the same caution when listening to politicians that you apply when listening to to street peddlers trying to sell you some el cheapo." - zloj, Comment # 10.

 I agree whole heartedly. And don't forget to include religious leaders and the talking heads in the media to that list. 

 

Lazy, shiftless people should get welfare and handouts to survive because of my religous beliefs and desire to not have lazy shiftless people working on anything important to me or wasting limited resources doing shoddy work. - devoish, Comment #5

Umm...No. Shiftless people should be left to rot in their own oozing pool of failure they created for themselves. If you want to crack open your wallet to personally fund a shiftless failure be my guest, it is your money. Have at it! But don't expect me, or many others, to eagerly subsidize shiftlessness, laziness just because the government says to do so. Charity at the point of a gun is robbery.

It is not rational thinking to believe that making idiots do work will make that work worth doing. - devoish, Comment #5

Do you really have no idea about the link between being happy and being a productive member of society? How do you think you would regard yourself if you spent your day doing nothing and sponging off the state? Would that not tarnish your self esteem? You tell yourself and the world around you that you are a lazy, unproductive, leech that chooses to not to provide for himself or his family. You tell the world that you are content with what is given you by the state because you are just a mindless slave on Uncle Sam's plantation. By setting such a bad example you are telling your kids they are not worth anything to society because they come from your lethargic loins, and they should not try to make a better life for themselves. And that kind of nonsense starts a destructive cycle.

Links on the subject:

https://www.cato.org/testimony/ct-wc67.html

http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1089576

http://www.commentarymagazine.com/viewarticle.cfm/crime--drugs--welfare-and-other-good-news-10999

In my opinion no able bodied person should get a welfare check without having some kind of work to do in return. I don't care what kind of work it is: picking up trash from the side of the road, painting government buildings, digging ditches, processing payments at the county tag office...No free rides if you are capable of doing work. Work leads to a sense of self worth, no matter how small the task.

 

Report this comment
#19) On June 10, 2010 at 1:32 PM, VintageCat (< 20) wrote:

Good read, both the OP and responses.  Somewhere in my mid 20's I stopped being as big of an idiot as I once was and I attempted to apply factual evidence (if it could be found) and logical (if this, then what follows) understanding to issues rather than accept the "party line" or what I was being told by authority figures whether it be political issues or simple common sense matters.  If I didn't understand something I tried to research the issue to get as many points of view as possible to form an opinion that was rounded and hopefully wasn't ignorant or reactive.  My BS radar was finely honed as a result.  

I guess I would say that thirty years into the process I'm apolitical and like you I do the best I can at the polls only to be disappointed time and again.  I conclude that the system is hopelessly broken and skewed to the powers that be to continue their agenda unabated regardless of who runs the ship.  

There is something to be taken from the spectrum of viewpoints in the political sphere.  I call myself a non-partisan moderate because there is no designation that clearly fits me but in fact I'm for the average human being that tries to the best of their ability to do the right thing and to contribute rather than take, for good stewardship of our planet and for at least an attempt at justice in the world and that includes paying the bill when it comes due.

With a semi-contrarian and independent outlook I see the multiple jingoistic bandwagons being generated from both sides as a distraction from the real issues and passed off as legitimate, with people jumping aboard without examining the truth, agenda or the destination of said wagons with the more extreme riders alienating friends and family that don't agree or that won't crash the symbols or toot the horns with them.  

I have experience with such activity in my very conservative family, who's ears are stopped and eyes are closed to anything that doesn't fit into their neat world views without overwhelming evidence to the contrary.  I would say that the same would apply to hardcore liberals when confronted with evidence of their blind sides given some of the nonsense that they float by, but with my family and the very red state that I live in, my experience is primarily with the other side of the coin.

The concept that one could be mistaken is the beginning of wisdom and sometimes it seems a wilderness to traverse.  It certainly is easier being blindly certain.  You have a "tribe" to belong to.  You "fit in" with a group of people comfortably.  You have slogans and mantras rather than ambiguous, some of this, some of that dichotomy.  Without a this or that designation, people tend to dismiss or distrust you.  If you don't embrace the entire agenda and mock the other side as idiots, you are a turd in the punch bowl.  You are taking that trip now.   

Chris, I have no children but I fully share your concerns and I'd say that our experiences and backgrounds are probably similar given the self description.  I may be you down the road a few decades...  Again good post.

Cat 

Report this comment
#20) On June 10, 2010 at 1:48 PM, Teacherman1 (62.19) wrote:

1 rec. 

I probably shouldn't make any other comments. I might say something to reveal that I too am an idiot.:)

I've always prefered the middle of the road. You just have to watch out for the cars.

There were a couple of comments made by some that I disagree with, but I respect their right to hold those beliefs,  as long as they don't expect me to hold them too.

Have a great day. 

 

Report this comment
#21) On June 10, 2010 at 2:21 PM, Entrepreneur58 (40.30) wrote:

The word balance comes to mind.  If you don't have it you are going to fall, both literally and figuratively.

Report this comment
#22) On June 10, 2010 at 2:34 PM, catoismymotor (38.90) wrote:

“Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.” - Buddha

Not being a member of the faith I can objectively look at this quote and find the truth within it that directly benefits this idiot.

Report this comment
#23) On June 10, 2010 at 2:38 PM, ChrisGraley (30.25) wrote:

Good one Cato!

Thanks for the wise additions from all the posters above as well.

Report this comment
#24) On June 10, 2010 at 3:05 PM, Borbality (45.89) wrote:

Good post. I have been feeling increasingly disillusioned as I get older and I'm hoping it's actually the way I should feel considering how things are in the US today. I don't WANT to feel so fed up with everything, but i feel like it's not my fault lol.

 Nothing bothers me more than people thinking they have everything figured out. We all ARE idiots. Our simple solutions to complex problems are usually impractical and almost always unpracticeable (sometimes not for good reasons but implausible nonetheless). This of course creates more frustration.

 People tend to think if you're not taking a harsh stance on a complex issue that you just don't care or know anything. I think it's much more likely that the loudest and most vehement are usually the most clueless and selfish. 

 I just turned 26 and within the last two or three years I've gotten married, bought a house and lost my mom to cancer and father to alcoholism, so I think that has something to do with my outlook as well.

 I love how the original poster mentioned how sometimes we take advice from those who don't have their own crap together. My parents are poster children for the current recession and this will stay with me forever. Their plan was just that they wouldn't retire! Dad is disabled and mom isn't alive.

Meanwhile, my in-laws' house is paid for and they have zero debt. The differences aren't isolated to money, but show the level of preparedness and foresight in life planning.

Report this comment
#25) On June 10, 2010 at 3:06 PM, lemoneater (79.38) wrote:

Rather than thinking of myself as an idiot, I prefer to think of myself as nobody.

I'm nobody! Who are you?

Are you nobody, too?

Then there's a pair of us--don't tell!

They'd banish us you know... Emily Dickinson

Report this comment
#26) On June 10, 2010 at 3:08 PM, Borbality (45.89) wrote:

 also think is a good sign when we look back and think how STUPID we used to be. I hope to do this for the rest of my life, assuming I'm actually growing and improving as a human. haha

 

Report this comment
#27) On June 10, 2010 at 3:14 PM, ragedmaximus (< 20) wrote:

I'm a rockstar,pornstar,astronaut,billionaire,brainiac then I wake up from my dream and I'm just a poor idiot,oh well at least my girlfriend and the dogs love me I hope. 

Report this comment
#28) On June 10, 2010 at 3:20 PM, kdakota630 (29.81) wrote:

The only thing I truly know is that I have so much more to learn.

Report this comment
#29) On June 10, 2010 at 7:30 PM, devoish (99.07) wrote:

Russian

Devoish, the point is that in the end we are all people. We shouldn't be pitted us. vs them. In the end we all want the same things - love, safety, stability for us and our families.

I know. Chris doesn't. Here, read something beautiful. Start from the bottom. http://riverbendblog.blogspot.com/2003_08_01_archive.html 

Chris,

You asked for original thinking. Those are the conclusions I have reached based upon my own experience. I am not surprised you do not like that they are different from your party lines. And had I known (as opposed to suspected) you did not want to hear thought differing from your own I would not have replied.

Cato.

It is ok for you to feel differently than me about letting them rot or not. I still do not want them wasting resources doing any work poorly. They waste more in fuel getting to the roadside to pick trash, and then more as they do it poorly and slowly. I would rather save resources and let them sit in front of a tv.

And frankly, Chris asked us to think for ourselves, and that is the only original thought in this post and replies, whether you agree with it or not.

At least it has never been expressed on the CAPS before.

Chris, even though you did not thank me for it, and could not even tell you got what you asked for, you are welcome.

Report this comment
#30) On June 10, 2010 at 9:31 PM, intangibles (76.36) wrote:

Try reading "Death From a Distance and the Birth of a Humane Universe" by Paul Bingham and Joanne Souza.  If you want to truly understand humans, there really is no other book to read. 

Report this comment
#31) On June 10, 2010 at 9:33 PM, fmahnke (95.32) wrote:

Hey Devo

",Lazy, shiftless people should get welfare and handouts to survive because of my religous beliefs and desire to not have lazy shiftless people working on anything important to me or wasting limited resources doing shoddy work."

I can sort of buy that.....  but . I'snt it a matter of degree

For example, do you support Barry, Barney and Nancy's vision of lending them money to buy houses at  interest rates lower than what we could get, even knowing these borrowers have insuffucebt income, assets and working people will get stuck with the Bill ?

Fannie, Freddie and FHA policies are truly idiotic and we should ask yourselves whether the people who support these polices are stupid or instead, corrupt ?? 

Ron Paul in 2012

 

Report this comment
#32) On June 10, 2010 at 9:58 PM, devoish (99.07) wrote:

fmahnke,

Yes it is a matter of degree.

I'll not rehash the rest.

Report this comment
#33) On June 10, 2010 at 10:00 PM, ChrisGraley (30.25) wrote:

Devoish, Hey, if you truly came to conclusions that match your party line totally and you came to those conclusions with independent thought using unbiased sources, I can't fault you.

While I do still feel sad for you, given your view of the perfect world, I can't fault you for it.

My point was not to blindly accept everything your party gives you as fact. If your doing so with your eyes wide open and have used unbiased information that is all I can asked for.

I don't want to be your sheppard any more than I want you to be a sheep. 

I didn't know that using the word liberal offended you. I don't think I have ever used the word do gooders to describe liberals. I have used the word puppets before but in context of an example. 

How do you want liberals to be referred as, if not liberals?

I tend to use the left and right analogy a lot too. Does that offend you as well? 

Is there anything about your party that you don't agree with Steven?

Do you truly think that your reply was the only original thought here? We had people opening up about their families and experiences. Quotes from Emily Dickinson, Bender and Buddha.

BTW I read the blog that you posted and it makes me wonder if Iraq simply switched dictators.

I'm sorry that I didn't realize that you gave me what I was looking for. I was asking people not to blindly follow their party and your post looked like it came from a campaign poster. You could have posted everyone of those things that you posted including your hatred of the way that I worded my thread and posted at the bottom "but Cap and Trade is stupid!" (I know that you feel that way from another post) and I would have applauded you.

Sorry devoish, you deserved a thank you as well. Even if it was a sad thank you. 

Chris, 

Report this comment
#34) On June 10, 2010 at 11:27 PM, ChrisGraley (30.25) wrote:

Lazy, shiftless people should get welfare and handouts to survive because of my religous beliefs and desire to not have lazy shiftless people working on anything important to me or wasting limited resources doing shoddy work.

I'm sorry devoish, I'm reading this as sarcasm hopefully, but  you don't actually think that everyone getting welfare is lazy and shiftless do you? (small joke to relieve the tension)

I'll bet that I can come up with a job for some of them to do that would interest you!

Put them in a giant hamster wheel attached to a generator. Remove any caps to what we would pay them, but pay them by the KWH that they generate. They still get a check. We get clean free energy. They get plenty of exercise and lower their burden on their government paid healthcare. Plus we could sell a TV show about it to a cable channel because watching people running on a giant hamster wheel is funny.

We could use them as alternative punishment for rich celebrities. Is Paris Hilton in trouble again? Instead of an ankle bracelet, chain a welfare recipient to her at the ankles. Then pay TMZ for any information that they can find that the welfare recipient wasn't well fed by Paris or was mistreated. Sell a reality show about it to the cable networks, because watching Paris take orders from someone that she would normally wipe her feet on, is very funny! Celebrity crime is an important issue, because given that celebrities seem to escalate their crimes because they can buy their way out of prosecution, our current system is ineffective.

Those are just 2 ideas, but I could come up with more. I'm trying to look for win/win situations after all and also I've invested in a couple of cable networks recently.

;) 

 

 

Report this comment
#35) On June 15, 2010 at 1:19 AM, alberta911 (75.54) wrote:

Kudos to you Chris...Success and accountability will come thanks to your generations proactive rather than reactive response ...something many generations were not..including mine.

When you know better you do better and you have the ability to trust..but verify thanks to the global technology...

These are not right wing or left wing issue these are common sense issues...better yet do what you say issues

 

Report this comment
#36) On June 17, 2010 at 7:07 PM, Momentum21 (96.33) wrote:

It is always refreshing to see someone break ranks...even if for a fleeting moment...to ponder the possibility that he/she might have been an idiot. 

It's one thing to be a politician and have a need to tow the party line...it's quite another to follow that line without question because you are too uncomfortable to come up with another conclusion. Most of the time politics is extremely negative because that's what sells. As a general rule I think consuming political views brings you down regardless of the party.  

As it relates to investing I think you get more from following those that think differently. Constantly weigh the evidence and come up with a conclusion that you can live with...most of us want to seek out those that agree with us so we feel better about our own decisions. 

Do what you can to make a difference. Talk is cheap. Someone did a great post here once about "thinkers and doers"...finding that balance seems like a worthwhile endeavor, even if you are an idiot like me. : )

 

Report this comment

Featured Broker Partners


Advertisement