Use access key #2 to skip to page content.

In The Know: Are Politicians Failing Our Lobbyists?

Recs

6

July 02, 2008 – Comments (2)


In The Know: Are Politicians Failing Our Lobbyists?

2 Comments – Post Your Own

#1) On July 02, 2008 at 1:03 PM, zygnoda (26.71) wrote:

This is downright shameful.  The lobbyists need to sue to force the politicians to repay their bribes.

Report this comment
#2) On July 02, 2008 at 2:18 PM, StockSpreadsheet (74.73) wrote:

There is an old saying that "An honest politician is one that when he is bought he stays bought".  It is a sign of our times that our politicians cannot be trusted to keep their word after accepting their bribes.

On a serious note, I do remember reading a few years ago where a campaign contributor sued a politician for backing down on a campaign promise.  The contributor stated that the only reason they gave their money to the politician, (and this was a big contribution, over $10k), was because of a campaign promise that the politician made.  When the politician renegged on the campaign promise, the contributor sued him for breach of contract, I believe, (arguing that there was a verbal agreement implied between them by the politicians promise and the contributors contribution).  Unfortunately, the contributor lost the suit.  Can you imagine what our nation would come to if politicians had to keep their promises?  A nation where politicians might actually have to tell the truth or refund their bribes?  99% of our politicians would probably be bankrupt and the remaining 1% wouldn't constitute a quorum so no legislation would be able to be passed until the next elections.  What would we do without Congress and the White House getting together to grill oil executives, (probably over wanting higher campaign contributions/bribes and wondering why they didn't get them), or promising $600 checks to help offset the $60k loss in the value of their homes, the $6k increase in their electric bills and the $600 increase in their monthly gasoline costs.  Not to mention the trouble the TV and radio stations would be in.  Think of the loss in add revenue and the loss of material to cover for new programs.  Jay Leno might have to go off the air since there would be no politicians to make fun of.  It would be a national catastrophe.  All caused by the change in politicians from pathological liars to honest men and women.

On the other hand, I do wish the honest 1% were more prevalent.  It would be nice to have a politician tell the truth for a change, even if it was only for one election cycle.  Who knows, we might even come to like it instead of preferring the comforting lies.  Doubt any of us will see it come to pass in our lifetimes though.  Honor seems to have become an 18th century relic no longer applicable to any modern politician or most current people.

Craig 

Report this comment

Featured Broker Partners


Advertisement