Use access key #2 to skip to page content.

JtHExperimental (33.23)

Jakila The Hun II: This Time, It's Not JakilaTheHun 1 (Oh ... and Could Someone Help Me with Gravatars)

Recs

7

June 23, 2009 – Comments (5) | RELATED TICKERS: CBG

Introducing "JakilaTheHunII: This Time, It's Not JakilaTheHun 1!"

Unfortunately, there will be no new gimmicks or fancier graphics with JakilaTheHunII.  It'll be kinda like JakilaTheHun-Original, except there will be (mostly) different picks!   You see, JakilaTheHun Classic is now very close to the 200 pick limit for CAPS.  However, as my views on investing are driven by fundamentals and are often very long-term oriented, I do not want to have to close out picks to make room for new ones. At the same time, I want to continue finding new companies and making picks on them as I see fit. 

The reasoning behind this new profile cuts to the very reason I joined CAPS to begin with.  I didn't come to CAPS to "win."  I didn't come to CAPS to obtain a high rating.  I didn't come to CAPS for fame and fortune!   I came to CAPS to learn

I've learned a lot about investing here at CAPS.  I've learned from reading blogs and pitches from other investors.  I've learned by following the moves of some of CAPS' best.  Most importantly, I've learned through experience more about what works and why it works.  CAPS givs me an excellent vehicle to discover companies I would have never found otherwise and see if I can predict whether the stocks of these companies will perform well or poorly.  

Since I've joined CAPS in May '08, I've developed my own methods for researching and valuing companies. It took me awhile to get the hang of things, but some time around October '08, a big light bulb went off in my head and I've performed very well since then after developing and refining my methodology. I want to continue testing this methodology and improving it in the future. 

 

The basic premises behind my strategy:

(1) I can find 60% of the information I need to make an informed investment decision in 15-30 minutes of research on a company

(2) Obtaining the additional 40% of information becomes progressively more difficult and time consuming.

(3) Even if you know 99% of all available information about a company that you'd need to know, the other 1% can always completely undermine the 99% that you do know.  Take a look at Satyam (SAY) and Sequenom (SQNM) if you want to know why.  Both companies fit into "the other 1%" category --- SAY was hit by a major fraud and accounting scandal while SQNM was hit by a scandal involving tainted test results.  Obtaining as much information as possible about a company is no guarantee of safety.

(4) By surveying as many companies as possible, I will be able to find the best bargains on the market most efficiently.  The more holdings I have, the better, since it prevents the "other 40%" of the info I don't know from coming back and biting me.  I believe that I can outperform the market with a large number of holdings using my methodology.

(5) If a stock looks particularly juicy to me on my initial reading, I will often dig deeper.  You can find a lot of my investment articles on Seeking Alpha which deal with the companies that I have analyzed more thoroughly.  When I buy stocks in real life, I normally do more thorough research since my personal portfolio is not as diversified as the CAPS portfolio.

 

In order to continue testing my methods, I would rather set up this "overflow" profile to make new picks rather than deal with "managing" the 200 picks in my old profile.  I will continue to use that profile, but I don't want to have to end picks to make room for others.  I'd rather end them naturally when the time comes.

For those who follow me and wish to follow me in the future, you might want to add this profile in addition to JakilaTheHun Senior Edition.  For those unfamiliar with me, check out old JakilaTheHun profile first.  Sometimes, I write pitches which might give insight into my investment orientation.  However, I don't have unlimited time, so oftentimes, I never get around to writing a pitch on certain stocks.  That will most likely continue with JtHII.  But if you'd like to see my first pitch for this profile, you can check out my red thumb pick for CB Richard Ellis (CBG).

 

Oh ... and Could Someone Help Me with My Gravatar

So, I wanted to set up a gravatar for this profile to distinguish it from the first one.  After careful deliberation with my advisors (cough, cough), JakilaTheHunII decided that scary-faced George Soros was the best selection. 

I went to the Gravatar website and linked that George Soros image to the e-mail address for this CAPS account. When I go to the 'edit my avatar' screen in 'My Fool', it shows that Soros avatar as being my 'current avatar'.  For some strange reason, however, it's not showing up in my profile.  I still get the default avatar.  I'm not sure why.  I followed the directions in the CAPS setup thinga-ma-bob.  Anyone else have problems with getting their gravatar set up and have any clue why I might be having issues?  

Thanks ahead of time for any help.

 

P.S. The title of this blog was a Strong Bad E-mail reference.  

5 Comments – Post Your Own

#1) On June 23, 2009 at 6:29 PM, portefeuille (99.60) wrote:

In order to continue testing my methods, I would rather set up this "overflow" profile to make new picks rather than deal with "managing" the 200 picks in my old profile.  I will continue to use that profile, but I don't want to have to end picks to make room for others.  I'd rather end them naturally when the time comes.

Same here. That is why I started my list. Another rating junkie ...

Report this comment
#2) On June 23, 2009 at 8:13 PM, JtHExperimental (33.23) wrote:

MattH,

LOL.  You might be correct.  That Soros might be even better!

Unfortunately, the CAPS Gods are not cooperating with me one way or another.  :-/

Report this comment
#3) On June 23, 2009 at 10:51 PM, TMFJake (58.78) wrote:

Jakila, we rolled out gravatar support with our soft launch of Fool Member pages.  Gravatar support on CAPS coming soon!

Report this comment
#4) On June 25, 2009 at 12:04 AM, Tastylunch (29.29) wrote:

  The more holdings I have, the better, since it prevents the "other 40%" of the info I don't know from coming back and biting me.  I believe that I can outperform the market with a large number of holdings using my methodology.

That sounds a lot like "diworseification" to me but  it does seem like you've got a pretty good system down. It will be interetsing to see if you can keep it up with a massive number of active picks.

Best of luck to you and keep at it TheHuneyII, I enjoy reading your analyses/takes.

Report this comment
#5) On June 25, 2009 at 12:24 AM, TMFMoby (99.18) wrote:

1/2 a rec for scary George Soros, and 1/2 a rec for the Strong Bad reference.  Though my favorite remains the Strong Bad techno.

Report this comment

Blog Archive

2009
June (1)

Featured Broker Partners


Advertisement