Like it or not, we have to get this country back to what made it great in the first place.
OK, I'm going to tick off the liberals with this post for sure. I'll probably tick off most conservatives as well. I'll tick off some centrists too, but this still needs to be said. I come to this board because I get so much intelligent information about just about everything under the sun. I'm also attracted to people that shun the the talking heads in the investment world and have decided to make their investment choices on their own. Almost everyday I see a post that simply amazes me. The collective minds at this site are bar none a thousand times better than I've found anywhere else.
That being said, I'm still baffled how all sides still seem to support incorrect ideas, even when they have been proven to be incorrect. It seems that the comfort that we have all grown up in, leads to a laziness when it comes to independent thought.
Let's start at the beginning... This country was born to oppose taxation without representation. We were basically exploited by England and they were simply following the path of superpowers before them. The reason that we had to be exploited in the first place was because England needed to pay for more and more entitlements to keep the masses at home happy. Those entitlements had to be paid by somebody and it was easier to get the disposable colonists to pay for it than to rile up the masses at home.
And then something strange happened! We beat them way to quickly in the war! Imagine getting all your buddies together to take on the State's National Guard and the National Guard decided to wear bright red and march in a straight line! So we had the advantage of being in a country full of resources, with a population that was not receptive to taxes at all. We grew because we knew we needed to grow business fast enough to make the low taxes enough to support the country.
Things didn't go wrong until the government started to spend money faster than it was making it. Taxes started to increase like crazy and the best excuse that we could get from government is that we aren't taxing on par with the countries in Europe and look at all those perks that they have. That's when things started to decline. If you look throughout history, all major empires seem to decline because of promises to the unsettled masses.
If you really want to succeed, we have to get back to the thought process of an emerging nation. I'll try to give 10 commandments that are guaranteed to tick everybody off.
1) A tax always leads to a decline, you might get away with it in the short term but in the long term you'll always lose to the country hungry enough not to tax.
2) If you don't respect Economics, you turn a blind eye to what made this country great to begin with.
3) You can't legislate morality, and even if you could, you shouldn't. That includes your religion.
4) Everything has a cost and nothing is free.
5) Agreeing with any person, party or ideology totally is just an admission that you're stupid.
6) The fact that you can't admit that you are part of the problem, is the biggest part of the problem.
7) If you really understood the problem, you'd be spending a lot more time on a solution.
8) Either through action or inaction, what you believe now, will make your kids suffer later.
9) You may not have caused the problem, but you contributed when you expected someone else to fix it for you.
10) The opposition is right about your flaws. When you are willing to admit that and move forward, the country actually might have some hope.
I really do hope that this helps someone.