Use access key #2 to skip to page content.

goldminingXpert (29.45)

Message To Top Bloggers Here

Recs

33

April 14, 2009 – Comments (29)

I've thought about blogging on numerous different subjects over the past couple of weeks. However, I've lacked the motivation. You know why? A bunch of punks and trolls who have as much of a track record as a bowl of noodles come onto our quality blogs and start bashing us. I've gotten a flood of stupid comments recently such as:

 

"You're a youngster, so I'll be kind[. . .]If you must dabble in journalism, at least put together something more factual." -Caps Rating 21.

"you posted some stupid links on my blog and now you think you know my country better than me??? those link/websites were very unreialble and shady...and the pictures..i even don't know if that's really Iran..so anyways...relax...no one is taking you seriously anyways. " - Caps Rating 38

"Hmmm I think I'll go with my college professor and the EPA over some some nut job (GoldminingXpert) on this one." - Caps Rating 74

"you talk too much and being a top fool means nothing!!![...]so don't think you are a genius..if anything u need to get a job!!!"  Caps Rating 38.

"What a lousy article. Regurgitated and clueless rhetoric that fails to grasp the CURRENT SITUATION." - Caps Rating under 20.

----

Well, I've got a message for the blogging community. If people with little to no CAPS track record start bashing you relentlessly, fear not, they are irrelevant. Now if a top-rated player lays into you, pay attention. But when some dude with 10 CAPS picks decides to write an ALL CAPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! post about HOW MUCH OF AN IDIOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! U R, just take a chill pill and relax. Lots of unemployed high school dropouts have time to be running around the internet and bashing those of us who actually have an audience. Like ducks just let their drivel roll right off your backs.

29 Comments – Post Your Own

#1) On April 15, 2009 at 12:25 AM, bradford86 (99.78) wrote:

If you can't beat them, join them?

Report this comment
#2) On April 15, 2009 at 12:48 AM, Wharrgarbl (50.98) wrote:

GoldminingXpert,

For what its worth, I don't think the CAPS record means much of anything.  Some people enjoy the challenge and try to pick their stocks in the spirit of CAPS.  Some pick  seven 4 and 5 star stocks and never look at their picks again, because they aren't really interested in the game.  But that doesn't mean their opinion is any more relevant or irrelevant than the next guy.

Take it or leave it, but a high CAPS score doesn't necessarily lead to a vast store of knowledge in any form.  Many of us work like dogs, have families and life commitments to uphold and the 15-20 minutes a night that we have to sit down and try to absorb a bit of knowledge from this site does't give us a lot of time to research 100's of stocks to green thumb or red thumb.

I personally find ALL the blogs informative and enjoy reading them.

 

Report this comment
#3) On April 15, 2009 at 1:02 AM, herztical (28.03) wrote:

GMX,

Don't sweat it...that's what makes a great writer.  A writers worth is not the ability to attract readers who love to read your posts/articles but the real worth is when you can get your naysayers to read it as well.  Complete coverage/exposure. That's what made radio guys like Rush Limbaugh and Howard Stern great.  The people who hated them listened more then the ones that actually liked them.

...and don't pay too much attention to CAPS scores; it doesn't tell that much about the person behind the number.  Anyone can open 2 accounts: 1) red thumb all 3x/2x bears and green thumb all 3x/2x bulls 2) green thumb all 3x/2x bears and red thumb all 3x/2x bulls and just use the better account after 10 days or longer and you have an instant score of 99 (or until the market moves one way or the other).

Report this comment
#4) On April 15, 2009 at 1:06 AM, spritefiend (98.08) wrote:

I agree with you to a point on this for sure. I am VERY new, and I believe that I have a decent score and I'm very proud of that as it is very confidence boosting.

However I don't think I am educated enough, or have enough experience to make any type of valid opinion that people should follow based on just this number.

An educated opinion on a subject is definitely evident when you read it vs the retards that use numbers to substitute every other letter and do nothing but talk trash.

In the end, I agree with you when you say just roll with the punches.

 

John.

Report this comment
#5) On April 15, 2009 at 4:05 AM, CentralBankEVIL (28.89) wrote:

Comment#3 hit it on the nail:

Don't sweat it...that's what makes a great writer.  A writers worth is not the ability to attract readers who love to read your posts/articles but the real worth is when you can get your naysayers to read it as well.  Complete coverage/exposure. That's what made radio guys like Rush Limbaugh and Howard Stern great.  The people who hated them listened more then the ones that actually liked them.

Report this comment
#6) On April 15, 2009 at 4:17 AM, Chromantix (97.81) wrote:

Everyday, now GMX.

I say blog on - write for those who want to read, not for those who would render you for the trouble.  Disagreement is healthy, personal attacks are not.

Report this comment
#7) On April 15, 2009 at 9:21 AM, lenri (70.94) wrote:

I loved that comment from the Fool who said he would listen to his college professor. That should pay off real well for him. That's like asking a government official who has never worked in the private sector to oversee the economy.

Professors with their socialist beliefs are usually tenured (because they are published) which means they may teach one course a semester and have virtual immunity from termination while raking in grossly inflated salaries at the expense of more qualified educators. I was surprised during my MBA studies how clueless they really are about macro- and microeconomics. They push their ideological agenda and ignore facts and stats and further pursuits to their own intellectual excellence. Many often punish any student who do not march goose-step to their beliefs. Being a rather old student (BA at 48, MBA at 54) I marveled at their ignorance and openly challenged their claims of omniscience. I was able to graduate, surprisingly with high honors, because I could offer an intelligent and mature rebuttal to their views without personal denigration but I still had to drop a few courses with untenable professors along the way. At the end of my academic experience which I thoroughly enjoyed (I love debate) I can honestly say that I would never, ever take investment advice from a professor (one of my profs still comes to me for stock and economic advice). 

Gold, you should not pay attention to little minds who believe effective debate begins and ends with belittling those with whom they disagree. We have quite a few of them in the CAPS community but they are merely the loudest, by far not representative of the majority. Do not back down. I enjoy your posts. Fool on!

Report this comment
#8) On April 15, 2009 at 9:43 AM, TMEBenBenBen (< 20) wrote:

LENRI >>>'...That should pay off real well for him...'

Your advice that one can probably safely forget investment advice from most professors is not without merit.  On the other hand, there are areas where remebering their advice is more consistently helpful.  Grammar is one such area.

In which case, it should pay off really well for you.... (you know, being an adverb and all).

 

..I could't resist.  Go ahead, rate the value of my comment based solely on my CAPS score.

Report this comment
#9) On April 15, 2009 at 9:55 AM, REITDUDE (90.70) wrote:

GMX, why do you care?  Your track record and recs speak for themselves.

Report this comment
#10) On April 15, 2009 at 10:02 AM, MrSucrose (< 20) wrote:

GMX-

 Seriously do with this what you will but I have a couple stocks you have looked at on my watch list and one (JAG) with actual skin in the game. 

Dont take any of this crap seriously.  I liked Reaper's work even though I didn't agree with him all the time and think the comunity is weaker since he has said he will stop posting here. 

I think as long as everyone is upfront and write things they truely believe they shouldn't worry too much about some effin trolls.

MrS

Report this comment
#11) On April 15, 2009 at 10:41 AM, kdakota630 (29.56) wrote:

GMX - I completely agree with you, and don't think I can give a response that would add much to what else has already been written.

CAPs scores and rankings aren't everything, but they do say SOMETHING about the person's ability to pick and time stocks.

Other than that, the only advice I can give is saying the same thing to your critics as I say to mine:

I'd rather be insulted by you than someone I respect.

(Granted, that's not original as I stole it from a Helmet song, but it's a good line.)

Report this comment
#12) On April 15, 2009 at 10:51 AM, lenri (70.94) wrote:

Thanks BenBen. That is why I am an MBA and not an English PhD. I probably use spellchecker more than most but, alas, CAPS doesn't allow me access to that cheatsheet or the MSWord auto grammar corrections.

Report this comment
#13) On April 15, 2009 at 11:01 AM, Schmacko (55.94) wrote:

.... Dude you post some good economic blogs, but every once in a while you post stuff about the enviornment and geopolitics that don't make as much sense.  Some of those comments you quoted at first glance seem to be from your non-buisness related posts.  You can make the argument that low CAPS scores means that person isn't as good an investor/stock picker as you... it may or may not actually be true, but you can make that argument.  You cannot however, look at someone's CAPS score and go "< 20 psssh!! I know more than you about all things at all times in regards to all universal matters!!!"

Report this comment
#14) On April 15, 2009 at 11:28 AM, nottheSEC (80.13) wrote:

Agreed GoldminingXpert! I know folks that left caps over these same individuals. Hey if you were a PAID journalist on CAPS it is to be expected. If one goes with the altruistic notion and spends the time articulating their ideas there should be a modicum of respect  I request that the naysayers, if they have nothing constructive to say, say nothing at all. Please. If you wish to disagree put some research in to it and be polite even if their is a poltical gulf between you. If you wish to vent at a player because your life is not what you expected create your own venting blog or talk to someone in real life. MY 2 cents and their should be a spell checker on this thing, 

Report this comment
#15) On April 15, 2009 at 1:34 PM, XMFHoosier8 (84.21) wrote:

GoldminingXpert,

Insightful blog. One addendum to the comments above -- a CAPS score is only true if the story's over today. I have two CAPS profiles --TMFhoosier & TMFhoosier8 -- if you're bored take a look at the difference.

TMFHoosier8 or TMFHoosier (for more credibility)

 

Report this comment
#16) On April 15, 2009 at 3:39 PM, Bays (30.05) wrote:

I'd have to say I disagree with you. 

Just because their CAPS score is low, doesn't mean they aren't educated in other subjects.

Or what about TMFSinch....  when is rating was <20...   I wouldn't call his opinion "irrelevent" just because of his CAPS score.

Not everyone is going to agree with you all the time.

Report this comment
#17) On April 15, 2009 at 3:55 PM, Quellist (< 20) wrote:

Sounds like PhD syndrome. "I have a PhD, I must know everything in all areas of knowledge ever!"

Or in this case, I have a high CAPS score... 

Report this comment
#18) On April 15, 2009 at 4:12 PM, RainierMan (76.47) wrote:

Schmacko nailed it. CAPS score of 100 is not a "pass" on all topics, just stocks.

Report this comment
#19) On April 15, 2009 at 4:15 PM, TSIF (99.96) wrote:

GMX didn't say that those with low scores have nothing to add.  His point was that if you don't have anything substantial to add OR don't think you have anything you can learn from the blog then save your posts for your own blog. 

I also think he's willing to take the good with the bad, but is giving us insight why top bloggers get tired.

For those of you who ramped up to a high score quickly and think maintainting a high score is going to be easy, guess again. It's building the score and keeping it over a long run that and sticking around caps, good or bad that adds the seasoning to your investing that gives you real life experiences that are worth sharing.  

Hint, the way CAPs works, anything less than a 99.90 score is NOT a high score.

Thanks GMX!

Report this comment
#20) On April 15, 2009 at 8:01 PM, bubabar (< 20) wrote:

Regardless of CAPS  scores, rude is rude. Keep posting i like your insights.

Report this comment
#21) On April 15, 2009 at 8:17 PM, tonylogan1 (28.12) wrote:

GMX - I agree.

There are a few posters here that threaten to turn this into no better than yahoo message board environment.

I suggest Fool add some kind of feature for ignore or block, because there are a few users that constantly provide the same feedback to every blog, no matter the actual content and I get annoyed reading what they have to say.

If there gets to be too much of it, TMF will not be readable.

 

 

Report this comment
#22) On April 15, 2009 at 9:04 PM, AnomaLee (28.60) wrote:

You are dealing with the same thing as EverydayInvestor, and I will write to you something similar


I look forward to constructive replies whether someone agrees or not. I actually look for debate because it excites critical thinking. The problem is the tone in the replies you posted. They add nothing of the sort with inflammatory comments.

I tend to think I have somewhat of a track record here being one of the more recommended bloggers. That 'fact' does not beget me instant credibility nor should it anyone else. There is a small minority of bloggers here that consistently post useful, informative posts that kindle thinking. but I've noticed that people with high CAPs ratings tend to attract "trolls" with rudimentary comments. I've clearly seen this happen with you, SpecBear, EverdayInvestor, dwot, and dozens of other individuals.

Half of the top 20 highest rated members contribute very little tangible information to the community, but they are followed because they've achieved some sort of "success." It's unfortunate because individual CAPs performance does not equate to realitstic investing.

You can look back at quality blogs with from these same individuals prior to "reaching the rafters" -- including you. There have been many well thought posts with penetrating research on individuals stocks, sectors, and financial conditions that I've read and recommneded but they ONLY received a half dozen recommendations or so.

However, when top rated individuals indiscriminately publish anything they instantly receive a dozen recommendations or more. If the topic is controversial you can be certain it will beget controversy. All of this is a tell-tale sign of herd-like behavior. 

I think it's something you will deal with. Think of it as a congratulatory gift.


P.S: Wow, I just proofread this and I feel nerdy. Pardon the wannabe proper syntax of this post. I've been writing papers.

Report this comment
#23) On April 16, 2009 at 9:02 AM, cthomas1017 (94.58) wrote:

Results are the measure of success.  Even if a "top-rated player" lays into you, keep writing.  Every "top-rated player" takes a fall at some point.  If there were a crystal ball, then everything would be a commodity.  Run strong, run high, and keep on writing.We're all at the mecry of the flux in the market - it's your analysis that counts, and even if the fundamentals behind your investment strategy change and your portfolio falls, your analysis is still valid - assessing risk/opportunitunity and apportioning your assets where they are ***most likely*** where they can work to your advantage.  Keep writing!  There are many of us who watch and respect but rarely comment.  We are still in awe of your prowess! :)

Report this comment
#24) On April 16, 2009 at 11:40 AM, Mary953 (76.72) wrote:

GMX - The first thing I ever wrote on this site (or any) was a comment on one of your blogs.  You made a valid point, used examples that included numbers by way of explanation, and got jumped by half a dozen people who were bugged by the numbers and completely ignored your points.  I restated the points without examples and suggested comments that addressed your main premise.  You made me a favorite - a first for me.  (thanks for that)

There are so many things you are capable of.  Don't let others get you down.  The only cracks in your armor are the ones you allow to remain there.  Some of your arguments are bound to cause arguements because you just are so far ahead.  Try to skip over them and keep going!

Report this comment
#25) On April 16, 2009 at 11:55 AM, PrestonCheek (32.41) wrote:

GMX, I too enjoy your point of view but have also seen some of the same hate comments that follow. I also hope this does not turn into another yahoo site and people fade out that do not belong, I have enjoyed this site and many of the people here and hope those people stay involved, I do not have the mindset to add top blogs for now and do not even try.

Looking forward to your next blog and hope everything is good in your world.

Report this comment
#26) On April 16, 2009 at 2:25 PM, wowdwarf (61.88) wrote:

I would try not to take it so personal.

people do things for their own reasons, not yours.

taking it personally can destroy energy reserves that could prove useful later on.

hopefully that helps if not oh well

(I'm not going to take it personally)

Report this comment
#27) On April 16, 2009 at 3:03 PM, clanza875 (33.13) wrote:

Sometimes i think the top guys are all the same high school kid. All you do is tell us how wonderful you are and then complain when someone takes you to task. Get over yourselves, play with real money, and we'll see just how much risk you'll take in your real portfolios.

Report this comment
#28) On April 16, 2009 at 6:35 PM, MikeMark (29.39) wrote:

Keep up the good work.

Report this comment
#29) On April 17, 2009 at 1:47 PM, Londamania (63.24) wrote:

Really torn here.  On the one hand, learning to articulate a point of view through the hate and chaff is something you have to learn especially if you want to be a journalist.

On the other hand, you really don't know diddily about global warming,  Really.  Nor do you grasp what a truly pissed off United States could do to any country in the world including China if we decided we really wanted to or that is was a direct threat to our national security.  Like say doing something that was going to cause our sea levels to rise 20-30 feet and take out all of our ports.

It's real, and we are late coming to the party, and we need to act now even though it's going to suck doing it in the midst of our economic recovery.  You can thank the prior administration, and people who thought incorrectly just like you do on this topic, for that.  At least we have people in charge now who get it and are listening to the actual experts in this field (as opposed to the funded hacks who are paid to have an answer that was chosen for them before they started) who are near 90% in agreement that this is a big big problem.

Look on the bright side - your kids will have a world to live in now.  And we can feel good later that we did something about it.

Report this comment

Featured Broker Partners


Advertisement