My Offer to Debate and Discuss Modern Monetary Theory
I officially issue a friendly challenge to any proponent of Modern Monetary Theory to defend and discuss their theory against my analysis and criticism.
The discussion may flow for several days. The ground rules are as follows:
1. This not a life-or-death event. Humor and good relations are welcome. Insults and vitriol are not. Now, I know what you're thinking: 'David in Qatar, you are CAPS' self-proclaimed king of insults.' This is true. But for discussions like these, I prefer warm and fuzzy feelings. See my debate on the topic of Marxism with zloj and russiangambit to know that my offer of friendly debate is true.
2. This is a debate concerning the insights, predictions, and framework of MMT. This is not a debate of Austrian School Economics. If you wish to have that debate because you believe that MMT is superior to the Austrian School framework, it must be done separately.
3. I will put together a list of questions in the initial blog. There will be many of them, but I will try to keep it limited. For each question that you answer, I may have a follow-up question. After my one follow-up question, I will almost certainly move on. I don't like comment threads that turn into 30 back-and-foths between two entrenched positions. If we end up in a stalemate on certain topics, so be it. Let the people decide. =D
4. I might have time to skim/read some works on MMT before we have our dance, so if there is something in particular that you recommend, please say so in the comment section. I only like beating up a strawman on other people's blogs. On mine, I prefer to foster the illustion of academic integrity.
5. Others are welcome to comment and ask questions on the blog, but see comment #1 about warm and fuzzy feelings. Absolutely no insults!
That's all I can think of right now. If you accept this challenge (more than one may accept), we can work out a good starting date in the comment section, keeping in mind that the discussion may go on for a few days.
David in Qatar