Use access key #2 to skip to page content.

President Obama

Recs

35

February 04, 2009 – Comments (20) | RELATED TICKERS: NLR

Got a minute?

I know you're kind of busy but if every other knucklehead wants to call you out and bash you down after destroying America in your first two weeks on the job, then I should to. Its easy recs for writing Gov't stinks.

Our own TMFBent has taken a shot at you because he does not think your 500k salary cap is anything more than symbolism. He is wrong to be upset because symbolism matters. The symbolism of "greed is good" has weakened America for the last 15 years, and the symbolism of responsibility will help to restore her.

TMFDeej has taken you to task alongside the Republicans for what the Republicans do not like in the stimulus bill. Their "pork" is mostly worthwhile stuff, and will mostly help out quickly.

http://caps.fool.com/Blogs/ViewPost.aspx?bpid=139708&t=01001019292467236494 

The Republicans insisted you add tax cuts to the bill but then withheld their votes in the house anyway. Now they are taking you to task for 2% of the spending in this bill and milking it like a political cow. Their solution of course, is corporate tax cuts. Their solution to Clintons surplus was tax cuts, and when that problem was solved, their solution to Bush's deficits is tax cuts. The tax cuts were spent on factorys in China and Malaysia, on call centers in India and the Phillipines. There are Conservatives who endlessly repeat that I know how to spend my money best, but the Republicans they helped elect gave it as corporate tax cuts to someone else.

Republicans claim business and free markets can best decide where resources are most efficiently spent. It is as if they cannot see that business chose to spend it building empty houses in the Nevada desert, or choose to pretend that was not a waste of resources.

I elected you, I did not elect Mozillo. Don't give the tax cuts for home buyers. The falling price of houses is not a problem, the overpricing of housing is. If you must do something, reserve a tax cut for first time buyers only.

Government is hard work, do what needs to be done. When the banks fail don't pull a Paulson and go on Fox news and say that farmers cannot get loans to plant and we need to give money to banks. Especially not 2 months after food riots in Haiti. Instead go on Fox and say you will make sure that farmers can get seed and if the banks survive it will be by their own bootstraps.

I elected you. Not because you are handsome, or smooth, but because you were right. You favored renewable energy over coal and nuclear. You were right. You favored responsible spending. You were right. So lets get to the meat of this post. You campaigned on making nuclear safe before new plants get built. Smart, but it has not been done yet. Now let's talk about some "pork" that Deej's Republicans missed.

Let's talk about Republican Senator Bennett, and Democratic Senator Carpers. It seems they think nuclear power is a good idea and they sponsored an amendment to your stimulus package to put 500 million toward nuclear energy loan guarantees. Let's not forget that there is no safe disposal for nuclear waste, that nuclear is ridiculously expensive and there is no shovel ready nuclear project and will not be for two years at least. In the first ten months of 2008 10% of our energy came from renewable sources. 500mil could give us safe renewable energy on line next month not in 7 years.

500 million in loan guarantees to an industry that cannot get them because the lenders know what the Congressional Budget Office knows. Half of the loans will fail. There are $122 billion worth of nuclear projects ready for the drawing board waiting for loan guarantees they should not get.

Bennetts amendment took 500mil from 10bil you had intended for renewable loans and moved it to an existing loan guarantee program established under the Energy Policy act of 2005. The curious thing about this particular program is that allows a very irresponsible level of leveraging.

Republicans who are calling you out for 18bil in spending in your recovery bill passed an Energy Act in 2005 that allows $1.00 of capital to guarantee $100. of loans. That's right. Not ten times leverage. Not the 30 times that destroyed the investment banks. 100 times leverage. $500,000,000. is intended to guarantee $50,000,000,000. in loans to an industry the Congressional budget office expects to fail at a 50% rate.

The Republicans are whining about $18bil. This one amendment will put us on the hook for $50bil with 1/100th on hand to cover it.

The Republican Gov't of 2005 thought 100 - 1 leverage was a good idea.

I don't.

We threw out the Republicans because they could not manage money. Because they could not tell Iraq was not a threat. Because they want to wish Global Warming away.

You were elected to do the business of Gov't. and to do it better than this foolishness.

Call Bennett and Carpers out. Make them explain this in public.

I would.

http://www.nukefree.org/news/energyprovisionmaytestpriorities

Thank you for your time.

Devoish.

20 Comments – Post Your Own

#1) On February 04, 2009 at 11:50 PM, RVAspeculator (29.22) wrote:

Wow...  I had not seen global warming in print in a while.

Report this comment
#2) On February 05, 2009 at 12:14 AM, Option1307 (29.70) wrote:

I can't speak for the rest here, but my main problem with Obama is that he is more of the same nonsense...

Not that the Republicans are better. They are (and Bush was) retarded as well...

Report this comment
#3) On February 05, 2009 at 12:21 AM, rofgile (99.32) wrote:

Great post - Rec for you!

Report this comment
#4) On February 05, 2009 at 12:32 AM, hevElee (52.10) wrote:

Thanks for a different side to the argument.

Report this comment
#5) On February 05, 2009 at 12:35 AM, nthought (< 20) wrote:

Obama is President and Repubs are now in full sabotage mode...actually, nevermind, that's their default mode. 

Report this comment
#6) On February 05, 2009 at 2:37 AM, BigFatBEAR (29.16) wrote:

Devo,

Great article. I agree, and think this article goes along quite nicely with mine today.

It's very late, and I need to sleep, but I'll be back tomorrow to read more and comment more. Oh yes. I will.

-BFB

Report this comment
#7) On February 05, 2009 at 3:37 AM, RonChapmanJr (76.22) wrote:

"Its easy recs for writing Gov't stinks."

not all of us are writing that government as a whole stinks, just that Obama and his crew do.  there is a difference.  the man has no idea what he is doing.  at some point the veil will be pulled back and the "wizard" will be seen for what he really is.

ron 

Report this comment
#8) On February 05, 2009 at 3:40 AM, Turtleread (66.92) wrote:

If I have to listen to one more Kudlow & Co. or Fox News Channel opinion, I will barf!  Your points are well taken and well reasoned.  You are right--the Republicans lost the election--they should shut up and be the minority party and be supportive and that does not mean wreak the process!  Contributing your ideas and then refusing to vote for the bill is crap!  And the voters will remember come next election.  I have recommended your posting.

Report this comment
#9) On February 05, 2009 at 9:53 AM, devoish (98.31) wrote:

Thanks for the rec's and comments everyone.

BFB, your post was excellent and one of its rec's came from me.

Option, they are not all the same, if the 2000 Presidential election didn't convince you of that, you aren't paying attention. The Rules and Tools of the federal gov't are the same though, and that certainly helps promote the perception you expressed.

Ron,

Let's hope it never gets to the point that we need the type of products that your website seems to sell, although there certainly seems to be some good general advice there even if the world does not go apocalyptic. Is there any way to see exactly what you are selling without registering my e-mail address?

Report this comment
#10) On February 05, 2009 at 10:56 AM, drgroup (69.10) wrote:

Devoish... well written, but you seem to have a lot of faith in the new president. Unfortunately, you will become more disappointed in him than the day you realized there was no santa clause or easter bunny. His policies are a page right out of the communist manifesto.

Good luck to all of us.

Report this comment
#11) On February 05, 2009 at 12:21 PM, ajm101 (31.86) wrote:

drgroup -

What is one policy of this administration that is remotely related to Marxism?  Please educate me.   Because it looks to me like the stimulus bill has $400B in tax cuts, and they're doing everything humanly possible to avoid nationalizing the banks.

Report this comment
#12) On February 05, 2009 at 12:24 PM, devoish (98.31) wrote:

drgroup,

Thank you.

I think there is more undeserved faith in free markets in your three lines, than faith in anything in my entire post.

 

Report this comment
#13) On February 05, 2009 at 3:21 PM, kstarich (30.49) wrote:

Devo

You lost all credibility when you mention global warming.  If you look at real data you would see the trend has been cooling.

I get tired of alll the global warming NUTCASE WHACKOS!

Report this comment
#14) On February 05, 2009 at 3:31 PM, Alex1963 (28.45) wrote:

Devoish,

Great post. I have been posting on MF myself in response to some of the Obama And Obama supporter bashing, and Bush defending claptrap out there. The complete political haymaking of conservatives over "pork" in the stimulus bill though each of the versions I have seen follow Obamas stated goals of reversal of both failed policies and irresponsible underfunding of important budgets and goals that he advocated since he began his campaign. And for which Americans showed their support for in ever increasing numbers up til he was elected. What I see is a conservative/republican blackmail game going on of the worst variety. Obama has taken the high road of insisting on bipartisanship and has even chastised supporters when they have been too strident and divisive angainst Republicans and yet these same weasel big business puppets are trying to bite the outstretched hand that is giving them back what little political credibility they have left (or right).

I'm all for constructive political dialogue and necessary give and take as long as the goals Obama has laid out are overall met. I realize that in order to craft a truly bipartisan package and to move forward as a majority, now and over the next 4 -8 years there may have to be concessions made which Obama & many of us who support him will have to grind our collective teeth and go along with. We will have to pick our battles and win the war and there will have to be a few steps taken back for evry 5 to go forward. But the hypocrisy and the manuevering of so many on the Right is infuriating and counterproductive. Party of fiscal conservatism my patootie! And how quickly they have forgotten how Bush rammed his agenda down our thoats with his paltry "mandate". They must wake up laughing that he is naive enough to think that they, in their shortsighted desperation to gain traction, can be trusted to play like grownups. Here is my reverse Conspiracy theory :)                                                 What I hope (there's that 4 letter word again) and suspect is that Obama is being very subtle and crafty and giving the Right all the rope they need to hang themselves with. He puts up token defenses and mild arguments but he is merely playing possum and letting the shortsighted and craven elements of the right expose their viciousness and venality when they try to eviscerate what they think is a stunned and helpless opponent. They cannot comprehend why he is not kiscking them when they are down, mistaking restraint for weakness. I believe he will tolerate their taking little bites out of the apple but if they overstep too far he will "stoop to conquor". And use the full arsenal of Right wing measures if necessary to politically humiliate them. The way you'll know they are the tools of the Right is that they will be chldish, mean, bullying and ultimately uncivilised and that you might hear reluctant admiration from the same Right wingnuts out there who admire aggression and bullying simply for it's own sake. Rush, O'Reilly, admiring him for acting 'tough & strong like a real leader" (of a motorcycle gang)"  (LOL). I believe most Americans, meaning the right and left middle ,are truly sick of the entire "us against them" mentality and the win every battle tactics of Washington and if either party goes too far with gamesmanship they will be lambasted.

And I have had it with the smug attiude of the skeptics that Obama supporters or stimulus supporters are dewy eyed, children doomed to be disappointed when there are no miracles or easter eggs. How arrogant. Yet they would probably go along with nary an ironic twinge to proposals based on "a thousand points of light" Compassionate conservatism" "axis of evil" "trickle down economics" and other fairy tales of the pro-business, anti-middle and lower class "realists" ad nauseum. They miss entirely the irony that the unltimate soft soapers are these same capitalist laissez faire master s of the universe who use the most transaparent , treacly, warm and fuzzy buzzwords for the express purpose of manipulation not because they have any real belief in them. At least not where it counts with results. I would rather follow a idealistic but true believer than a hypocritical cynic because with the latter you have no idea what their agenda really is but you can but is about self enrichmnet and short sighted goals. Power, money, and glory. They will shamelessly parrot the sincere few to manipulate the many.

Option: "more of the same" ? may I point out that in advance of even getting agreement on this stimulus and 2 weeks into his presidency Obama this past weekend took full responsibilty for solving the economic crisis. Further saying he would not be around for the 5th year if he couldn't turn this around? Does that sound ANYTHING like what we have endured for the last 8 years? This man is an adult. I know it's hard to recognize because it is so unfamiliar in government but open your mind a little more. Listen to what he doesn't say about his opponents, what he doesn't do with his 51% popular mandate and overwhelming electoral majority. Allow yourself to imagine that he is actually sincere. How would a sincere person operate? With consistency, with openness, by not trying to embarrass his opponents into cooperation. By using diplomacy and tact even though he has the political muscle to simply ram what he wants through if he so chose. He insisted Joe Biden apologize yesterdayfor ridiculing an opponent in an interview for pete's sake! Bush barely blinked an eye when Cheney shot a man. Bush is only now saying "Duh, maybe Iraq didn't go as smooth as I thought it coulda-maybe my bad a little bit". Adults admit when they screw up, adults take responsibility for their actions & even( sit down now)  their mistakes, They accept the hard realities of their jobs when they are chosen to lead. They adjust, they adapt, they are unafraid of close scrutiny or criticism because know they are acting on well thought out and consistent principles and they do not coddle their underlings when they screw up because they know loyalty at all costs is not the defining trait in a Commander in Chief. rathe that is battlefield appropriate worldview, or an important marriage or friendship tenet. And finally, adults address tough issues when others have need of clarification and do not dumb it down. they treat their listeners like intelligent adults who are capable of distinguishing black, white and the grays in between, like the rascisim speech of the campaign.

Enough I'm going to pop a blood vessel LOL but not before I give your post a rec, devoish!

Alex

Report this comment
#15) On February 05, 2009 at 4:18 PM, RonChapmanJr (76.22) wrote:

devo,

yeah, i'm hoping that we dont need it either.

i'm actually not selling anything.  the ebook has links to places i have set up affilate programs with.  i send emails very infrequently, but you can always download the PDF and then unsubscribe from my list if you really think the information i send is not worth getting an email a month.

peace,

ron

Survival-Information.com

Report this comment
#16) On February 05, 2009 at 4:56 PM, Turtleread (66.92) wrote:

I think you nailed it Alex1963.  The conservatives still think liberals are a bunch of flower children.  I am not understanding why Obama has offered so many positions in government to them, especially after what they did to the country in the last eight years.

Report this comment
#17) On February 05, 2009 at 8:42 PM, quitsmoking (< 20) wrote:

Global Warming ????????????? Waazat??????? I really get a kick out of the idea of a shivering ice sculpture of AL Gore. Someone should market them! We would do well without him!

Report this comment
#18) On February 06, 2009 at 10:51 AM, drgroup (69.10) wrote:

Devo...again thanks for a great post. You bring to light a lot of interesting points and as such you should have faith in them. I on the other hand do have belief, not faith, in free markets as you stated in #12. This does not mean we can not exchange desinting opinions. If I offened you, I humbley offer the olive branch.

As for the statement ajm made in #11; if he can't see that pushing for government control of private business is right out of the marxiest playbook, then I don't know what to say to him.

Let's all make money.

Report this comment
#19) On February 06, 2009 at 11:39 AM, ajm101 (31.86) wrote:

drgroup, i disagree with you fundamentally that they are pushing for government control of private business.  That wouldn't necessarily be Marxist anyway (it would be socialist, there is a difference), but that's a moot point because that is not what they are pushing for

That said, I enthusiastically agree with you that we should all go make money.

I think that nat. gas stocks and oil stocks, particularly those with Miocene or lower Tertiary leases in the GoM are winners here.  I like APC, SD, MMR, and DVN.  There's my olive branch :)

Report this comment
#20) On February 06, 2009 at 2:50 PM, devoish (98.31) wrote:

drgroup,

I felt that your comparing me to a 7 year old child, and calling an elected presidents policys communist added very little and is appropriate for Yahoo, but here on the Fool we are trying to do better. 

For every failure of free markets there is a conservative who will tell me to discount it because there have never been free markets. Therefore I will not count on the fantasy of free market theory, but the reality that free markets are guided by Gov't policy.

If you want to challenge my assertion that nuclear power is expensive, or that a gov't lending facility leveraged 100/1 is a bad idea go ahead and write a post. If you want to challenge my assertion that global warming is a real threat, write a post.I have spent quite a bit of time on the first and third subjects, and the second one about the risks of leveraging has pretty much been slammed into everyones face this year.

I sincerely appreciate the olive branch and it is greeted with the same optomism I have for the loss of Republican authority in Gov't.

If you would like to compare the evolution of a real world Democracy into a Communist country and where on that path you see todays USA that would be an excellent post. I would strongly suggest preceding it with a post defining Communism and maybe Democracy.

Good luck in Caps and enjoy the Fool.

Report this comment

Featured Broker Partners


Advertisement