Use access key #2 to skip to page content.

"Media is HOT" portfolio is getting killed today...

Recs

5

June 01, 2010 – Comments (8) | RELATED TICKERS: SBSA , ETM , MNI

Unfortunately.

Getting severely killed.

While the market is down only a fraction of a percent, my Media is HOT portfolio is down 3.4%

Most notably, MNI is down 8.5%, LEE is down 7%, MEG is down 6.3%, SSP and SALM are down 5%, and GCI is down 4%.

Not a good day for media. Not at all. Actually, quite a few of the stocks from this portfolio got a 30% haircut since this correction started a few weeks ago.

However, there is some good news.

This same portfolio of 14 media stocks is up 67.4% since it was created on 10/5/09 in this post here. During the same time frame, S&P returned -0.4%.

In othere words, if you invested $10,000 in the Media is HOT portfolio on 10/5/09 (same amount of money in each stock), you would now be sitting on $16,740. If you invested those same $10,000 in S&P 500, you would now have only $9,960. Who would think? 

Most notable winners are SBSA up 188%, EMMS up 130%, SBGI up 98%, ETM up 94%, and MNI up 77%. 

What I find most interesting is that every single stock from this portfolio is still nicely outperforming the S&P 500. Yes, even during this brutal correction. The worst performer of these 14 stocks is SSP, up 14.6%.

I thought you might find this interesting too.

Good Luck All!

8 Comments – Post Your Own

#1) On June 01, 2010 at 4:27 PM, SockMarket (42.13) wrote:

dragon,

3 q's:

1) how do you determine when something is hot? Do you have a mechanical model (ie anticitrade style), is it intuition, or a bit of both?

2) how did your portfolios fare during the crash (ie 2007-2008)?

3) your volume stocks interest me the most-especially since you say that they are still on sale. If I were to buy 1 which one would you recommend?

Report this comment
#2) On June 02, 2010 at 3:43 PM, dragonLZ (99.53) wrote:

Daniel,

1) No, I don't use a mechanical model. I use charts. I look for big percentage gainers on high volume (and a few other things).

2) Bad. Luckily, not too bad as I wasn't actively investing during those 2 years, mainly because of lack of funds. In 2008, I also wasn't investing because I didn't think it was a good time to invest. That was kinda obvious. I started slowly buying in November of 2009 thinking we reached the bottom.

3) I really think that's my best portfolio. I honestly think when the market gets to 25% return (from the time I started the Volume portfolio), this portfolio will get to at least 100% return.

To pick one? Not easy, not easy.

I like BPOP right now, but that might be just because I like low priced stocks. I also like its chart.

Right now, CENX and HWD charts look good too.

The ones I wouldn't be rushing to buy right now are FITB and GTN. FITB might not move much for a while, and GTN is too volatile.

CNO's chart looks like a mess right now, but I strongly believe in this stock (based on my intuition).

I hope this help.

Good Luck.

Report this comment
#3) On June 03, 2010 at 1:10 AM, SockMarket (42.13) wrote:

dragon,

It certainly does help! Thanks for the stock recs. I am trying to redo my portfolio into a mainly yield based one with some growth on the side and I was thinking of using some of your stuff (with my own DD of course :) ). 

Best of luck with the models and the markets

dan

 

PS I don't know if you would be interested, but I think that I, and a number of other people on here would be very interested to get a chart reading tutorial from you. 

Report this comment
#4) On June 05, 2010 at 1:24 PM, PainterPoker (21.45) wrote:

Thanks for the blog and portfolios Dragon!

Daniel's right about the chart reading tutorial, as I'm new to investing any informed investing information is great for me.

Anyway, good luck to the both of you! 

Report this comment
#5) On June 07, 2010 at 12:13 PM, floridabuilder2 (99.28) wrote:

So dragon, when do you print a blog post that you were wrong about builders (and as usual) I am right?  My ITB call was correct and summer just started!! 

It is difficult to beat me when I have sales numbers and internal forecasts of public builders before they are made public if at all.  That doesn't even include how they are writing off their assets and other financial data.  Thanks for playing though

Report this comment
#6) On June 10, 2010 at 3:55 PM, dragonLZ (99.53) wrote:

Sorry guys, I kinda forgot about you...

danielthebear and PainterPoker, thank you a lot for bringing up the tutorial thing, but I'm afraid I'm not that good. I'm just like you: another Fool trying to learn as much as I can.

If I ever think I came up with a good "system", I'll share it with you.

Thank you again guys. I really appreciate it and I wish you a lot of luck in the future.

p.s. Dan, did you notice Volume Stocks are doing quite well today: CENX and GNW are up 7%, CNO, GCI, and TCK 6%, HWD, FITB, and BPOP 5%.

Btw. that's a "problem" with the stocks I like. When the market goes up, they go up quite a bit. When the market goes down, they go down quite a bit. A lot of people don't have a stomach for that...

Report this comment
#7) On June 10, 2010 at 4:05 PM, dragonLZ (99.53) wrote:

So dragon, when do you print a blog post that you were wrong about builders (and as usual) I am right?  My ITB call was correct and summer just started!! 

 floridabuilder2, if you remember, 2 months into your call, home-builders were up 10%, and I don't think you posted anything about you being wrog at that time :)

As I told you, I'm not a builder. You have better info than I do (my call was based on charts) so I wouldn't be surprised if you made a better call than I did.

However, you said 6 months of arse whooping, and for me, 10% down doesn't qualify as arse whooping. We'll see what happens next.

p.s. Btw., ITB is up 5% today... :)

Good Luck!

Report this comment
#8) On June 11, 2010 at 4:19 PM, dragonLZ (99.53) wrote:

Another good day for the Volume Story stocks:

BPOP up 4.7%, GCI up 4%, HWD up 3.8%, LVS up 3%, GTN up 2.5%, CENX up 2.2%,...

Worst performer, FITB, down 0.07% (or $.01)...

Report this comment

Featured Broker Partners


Advertisement