Random Thoughts August
1. The drought here in Texas is going to have to eventually have some kind of effect on food prices.
2. Obama doesn't fool anyone any more after yesterday. Even liberals are sick of his "I'll give a speech and that's about it" method of dealing with issues. He has no credibility with anyone that he knows what he's doing.
3. The Republicans are in disarray. Their only hope is that Pawlenty grows some balls or Romney grows some charisma. The rest are going to have a hard time in the general election, even if it is against President Hopey.
4. The downgrade was unwarranted. The US can print currency and there is nothing to suggest that a real default is likely. I have heard arguments that Treasuries should be downgraded because you don't want to be repaid in devalued dollars. However, based on that logic, all dollar-denominated debt would be downgraded.
5. Hillary wants to be President. That has been true for a very long time. It won't change.
6. If Hillary jumped in to the race, does anyone think Obama could beat her in the Democratic Primaries? Think about last time. Let's make history. Change Washington. Those are easy checks in the Hillary column this time around.
7. Which Republican candidate matches up well against Hillary?
8. I don't like Hillary, by the way. I don't like Obama either. I don't like any of the main Republican candidates all that much either. I'm annoyed that Huckabee isn't running, and beyond that I am okay with Pawlenty except that it would be embarrassing if the Democratic candidate was described as having more "testicular fortitude" than him despite being female.
9. Rick Perry isn't even that popular in Texas. Don't expect too much out of him. Remember Fred Thompson last time around?
10. Come to think of it, I think Fred Thompson is probably better than any of the candidates in the field this time around. That's not good.
11. It's too bad that Ross Perot is so old or he and the Reform party might just have a shot. I'd probably vote for him this time. Remember those charts?
12. I don't think we're headed for an earnings recession. Even if the economy tanks corporate earnings will still be pretty good. I don't know if they'll grow, but I don't expect the good companies to lose money.
13. Do most gold investors have an exit strategy?