Use access key #2 to skip to page content.

alstry (35.44)

Simply No Money to Celebrate

Recs

13

June 29, 2009 – Comments (29)

Struggling cities cancel Fourth of July fireworks

Nearly 50 cash-strapped cities nationwide are forgoing fireworks festivities.....

Reporting from Euclid, Ohio -- Mayor Bill Cervenik has spent a lifetime celebrating the Fourth of July curled up on a blanket in this city's Memorial Park beneath bursts of fireworks across a darkened Ohio sky.

People have long considered the fireworks a treasure of this Cleveland suburb, where flags fly year-round in neighborhoods of bungalows and stores post signs for passersby to "support our troops."

But the fireworks and singing along to "The Star-Spangled Banner" on a warm summer night -- and the police and firefighters needed to manage the 30,000 people who turn out -- don't come cheap.

So this year, Euclid will have no fireworks. "I'm 55 years old and I can't remember not going to one of these," Cervenik said.

As the economic crisis has dragged on, city leaders around the country say fireworks are a luxury they can no longer afford. Big and small, urban and rural, the skies will remain dark over at least four dozen communities nationwide come July 4.

"It came down to this: Did we want to spend $150,000 on something that would be over in a few hours?" Cervenik said. "Or did we want to use that money to keep city workers employed?"

The news has sparked outrage and protests among residents who long to preserve an American tradition that dates to 1777. They say that fireworks displays are more than a nod to nostalgia: They allow communities to come together, set aside their woes and build up town pride -- even if only for a few hours.

"Good times, bad times, there's always been fireworks," said Robert Baker, who heads the Fourth of July festival committee in Abington, Mass.

Baker, a shipping foreman with a shoe manufacturer, has been out of work for a year. The festival was quashed this month amid city budget fights.

"This is one more blow in a year of blow after blow," Baker said.

In San Jose, slumping tourism and dwindling sales tax receipts shut down the city's America Festival and its evening display over a half-mile stretch of Highway 87.

"We're faced with balancing an $84-million budget shortfall," said mayoral spokeswoman Michelle McGurk. "We don't have the money to support a lot of things we'd like to."

Some cities would rather feed their residents than entertain them. In the Los Angeles suburb of Montebello, where unemployment hovers at 12%, the City Council unanimously voted to use its $39,000 fireworks budget on donations to local food banks.

"The last food bank line I saw had more than 1,000 people in it," said Mayor Rosemarie Vasquez. "We figured that, instead of burning the money in the air, why not give it to people who need it."

In Lowell, Mass., Mayor Edward Caulfield canceled the city's annual show to help save one city job. He had already cut 48.


http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-fireworks29-2009jun29,0,2351470.story

Jobs are being cut in city after city after city across America....do you see your politicians taking pay cuts or publicly adressing the issue???  No, all you hear are the wimps, pimps, and chimps getting angry at Alstry for reporting the truth.

Soon we are going to be forced to stand together as a nation as more and more go broke.  Millions of city, state, and other government workers including those in healthcare are likely going to lose their jobs in upcoming weeks and months.

It is simply the mathematics as we proceed forward with current Zombulation government policies.  It is not the end of the world, just the end of a game as we know it.

Look around.....there are likely neighbors of yours in distress, lend a helping hand where one is needed.

America has been giving for generations.....do you think there will be anyone to give us a hand in our time of need???

Prepare.....just in case there is NOT!!!!!

29 Comments – Post Your Own

#1) On June 29, 2009 at 2:35 PM, anticitrade (99.66) wrote:

50 cities!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Thats incredible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  So I guess the other 19,305 cities have plenty of money to celebrate?

Report this comment
#2) On June 29, 2009 at 2:39 PM, alstry (35.44) wrote:

It's not the celebration that is at issue...it is the millions of jobs losses......millions that may get kicked out of their homes......millions that may go hungry........

Please be prepared to help.....Thank you.

Report this comment
#3) On June 29, 2009 at 2:48 PM, carcassgrinder (35.37) wrote:

No Anti, the other 19,305 do not have the money either.  They, too, have starving people, job losses, poor sewers, crumbling streets, employees facing wage cuts and foreclosures epidemics.....but they just choose to waste money on a 2 hour ceremony instead.

Report this comment
#4) On June 29, 2009 at 2:55 PM, anticitrade (99.66) wrote:

If the celebration is not the issue why is it 80% of your post? 

As far as the lost jobs go: http://www.cnbc.com/id/31121301/

The pace of U.S. job losses slowed sharply last month, the strongest sign to date that the recession is diminishing, even as the unemployment rate hit its highest in nearly 26 years.

The Labor Department said Friday that U.S. employers cut 345,000 jobs in May, the fewest since September and far less than economists had forecast, after slicing 504,000 in April. The unemployment rate raced to 9.4 percent, however, the highest since July 1983, from 8.9 percent in April, partly reflecting a surge in people entering the labor force.

It seems that the rate is slowing significantly.  For someone who claims to be in law, I am suprised to see the gratuitous use of a slippery slope fallacy:

it is the millions of jobs losses......millions that may get kicked out of their homes......millions that may go hungry........

Like you, I am all for helping out myneighbors.  One of the easiest ways to do that is to provide them with realistic information so they can make good decisions.

Report this comment
#5) On June 29, 2009 at 2:57 PM, anticitrade (99.66) wrote:

Carcassgrinder:

Can you quantify anything you just said?  Or is there some reason that you can talk out your butt and we should all just believe it?

Report this comment
#6) On June 29, 2009 at 3:02 PM, alstry (35.44) wrote:

Actually, if you factor the birth/death adjustments.....any competent statician would inform you that the current government data on employment is providing a misleading picture.

My suggestion is you contact every mayor in America and ask them what the job prospects look like for their municipality....I think you will get a very different picture than what is being released by the BLS....

It is why Alstry is soooo accurate in his projections....he actually contacts the sources directly and personally.  In a few months, you will undoubtedly agree my perspective is much more accurate than the current figures being released by the BLS.

Remember when Bernanke and the Fed was telling you subprime was contained.....and the Institute of Alstrynomics was providing a very different perspective???  Why...because we were contacting industry sources directly.

The only reason the unemployment rate is so low is because more and more are being taken off the unemployment rolls and put on welfare....either way, they are not working.

As far as realitic information....remember....Alstrynomics is all about being RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Report this comment
#7) On June 29, 2009 at 3:05 PM, carcassgrinder (35.37) wrote:

You yourself could quanitfy by investigating the balance sheet of virtually any city of your 19,305.  Or, if you mean quantify by using inaccurate and contrived gov't. reports, then no.

Report this comment
#8) On June 29, 2009 at 3:12 PM, carcassgrinder (35.37) wrote:

Anti....remember...using force fed propaganda to support your  position speaks more of your "talk from the butt" tendencies than you may recognize.

Report this comment
#9) On June 29, 2009 at 3:13 PM, anticitrade (99.66) wrote:

So we can assume either: 

Alstry, prophet of the economy, has spent countless hours contacting every mayor in America (assuming you can just cold call them), compiling the resultant data, and then fairly presented it for the good of mankind.  (And that every other news source is being manipulated by some opaque source).

OR

Alstry, the ranting lunatic, takes pieces of news articles out of context and uses them to support rediculous factless claims. (And no great conspiracy exists.)

Which seems more probable?  Would it sway your opinion if I point out that CNBC does not end every sentance with 15 exclamation points? 

Report this comment
#10) On June 29, 2009 at 3:18 PM, alstry (35.44) wrote:

anti,

I know it must be tough for you to accept that I am the Oracle of CAPs.....but it is what it is.....

remember, I was blogging last year about the impending collapse of California's economy before it was even an issue in the mainstream media.....

now the mainstream is catching up to Alstry......and Alstry is moving on to other issues

as far as making the appropriate phone calls, it always helps to have a few friends in the right places;)

Be patient, you will believe....I am certain of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Report this comment
#11) On June 29, 2009 at 3:19 PM, anticitrade (99.66) wrote:

Carcass-

If you believe every financial statement, government report, and independant study is "forece fed propeganda", I can see how it would limit your options for real research.  So your claims must be based on what?  Magic eight ball?  Bag of dried chicken bones?  Visionary dreams?  Gut feel?

Maybe if you were Chuck Norris (texas ranger), I would be willing to follow your gut feel....  But for the time being, I will try to make my decisions based on data.

Report this comment
#12) On June 29, 2009 at 3:26 PM, anticitrade (99.66) wrote:

Alstry,

You have moments when you put out actual real information (your comment to millionby24 the other day took the words right out of mouth).  Is talking about yourself in the 3rd person really so satisfying that it justifies the amount of time you spend creating these valueless posts?

Report this comment
#13) On June 29, 2009 at 3:34 PM, alstry (35.44) wrote:

Don't let the third person distrub you....focus on the substance....it will help you develop an important skill.

When 50 cities across the nation pull their fireworks display, it is statisically significant.  Probably around 5% of cities in America have displays.....thus, 50 would be about 5% of cities with displays.

Further, the job issue is very serious....just in Sacremento alone we saw 400 layoffs announced last week, thousands more are likely in Sacramento alone......we have already seen thousands announced in L.A. and New York.

The numbers are really starting to add up and are NOT geographically concentrated.  This will be the issue of the summer in my opinion.....but let's get through this end of the quarter week first.

Report this comment
#14) On June 29, 2009 at 3:36 PM, carcassgrinder (35.37) wrote:

Anti...my claims are based on observation, common sense...they are based on the principal that 1 + 1 = 2.  These are not areas where you need turn to major "news" sources to reach a rational.

Report this comment
#15) On June 29, 2009 at 3:56 PM, angusthermopylae (39.24) wrote:

But for the time being, I will try to make my decisions based on data.

I think that's the problem--if the data is massaged (and "messaged") beyond a certain point, then what do you use?

While a bit of an overstatement in my opinion, I really can't argue against every  "financial statement, government report, and independant study" being propoganda in some form or another.

Financial statements have certain legal requirements for honesty...but outside those requirements, do they have to tell the bald-a$$ truth every time?  Even if it kills the company?

Government reports are made by the government and it's bureacracies (sp?).  Ideally, these agencies would put forth all relevant information, and let the policy makers decide.  However, there are significant questions about how impartial these reports are.

...in other words, politics gets in the mix...

As for "independent studies"?  Again, ideally, an organization without an agenda (but with relevant expertise) will be asked to perform a study on a topic...but who hired them?  How much were they paid for the study?  Did that influence the outcome and conclusions?

Personally, I prefer the Magic 8-Ball(tm).  He's never let me down yet!

Report this comment
#16) On June 29, 2009 at 3:58 PM, anticitrade (99.66) wrote:

Alstry,

Thanks for the logical response.  I randomly chose Michigan to test your theory (which has to be one of the hardest hit states).  Michigan has 1775 cities, villages and townships, and reports 229 cities doing a firework display this year.  Which means actually about 13% of US cities do a firework show.  So we should expect a total of 2,516 cities to do firework shows and a little less than 2% cancelled them this year.  That does not seem very significant to me.  (Do you see what 10 minutes of actual research do to an argument?  Of course carcass would argue that these numbers are fabricated for some neferious purpose.)

I totally disagree about "The numbers are really starting to add up and are NOT geographically concentrated".  There are very obviously some areas that have been hit worse than others because of their dependence on the auto and tech industries. 

Carcass you are not saying "1 + 1 = 2" since you don't rely on any numbers..  You are saying: unemployment + inflation = end of world.

Report this comment
#17) On June 29, 2009 at 4:08 PM, carcassgrinder (35.37) wrote:

Who said I don't rely on #'s.  Just not #'s offered to me by organizations with an agenda.  But, for people like you who take these reports at face value...there is a vast field from which you may graze.

And, again, what is impressive here is not the amount of cities that cannot afford a fireworks display and have cancelled.....what is impressive is the amount of cities that cannot afford a fireworks diplay, yet choose to have one anyway.  Many of the people who make these bad decisions are pointing to the same garbage as you to justify their decisions.  But you know....whatever lets you sleep at night.  Keep up the good reading Anti. 

Report this comment
#18) On June 29, 2009 at 4:19 PM, bigpeach (29.06) wrote:

I'm enjoying this banter. Carcassgrinder, you so far have provided no numbers. You've only made vague "all the numbers you see in the media are lies and propaganda" type statements, and when pressed to back up such a claim, you've used the "of course I'm right, you're naive" defense. I'm not going to argue against your opinions, but your comments here have so far been emotional theorizing rather than logical argument based in suportable facts.

Report this comment
#19) On June 29, 2009 at 4:21 PM, alstry (35.44) wrote:

I don't mean to embarass you.....but your analysis is embarassing.  California has less than 500 cities and towns vs. Michigan's 1775 yet many times the population.  Massachusettes has less than 350 cities and towns.

Michigans unemployment rate is now exceeding 14% and some sections of some cities are being levelled to save money.  Even if those cities are still maintaining their fireworks displays, next year there may not even be a city if the current trends continue.

To extrapolate anything out of your figures really is extrapolating for the sake of extrapolation and not much by the way of significance.

I am not sure of the size of the cities that will do fireworks this year, but based on a review of the cities that are cancelling, they are some of material populations.  My guess is many of the Michigan cities that are maintaining their displays are likely very small towns.

Towns that have cancelled included CA, FL, MA, and OH....I tend to find that NOT geographically concentrated.

Part of the reason Alstrynomics is so powerful is that it can take data early that few find significant and consistently apply it to amazingly accurate forecasts.

Report this comment
#20) On June 29, 2009 at 4:44 PM, carcassgrinder (35.37) wrote:

Big Peach...

Glad your "enjoying the banter".  Your observations are not relevant to the discussion.  Try not to get too hung up on needing #'s when your are theorizing.  As long as you are relying on other peoples #'s, you are probably talking out of your a$$.  A keen sense of observation will always trump the study of fiction. Report this comment
#21) On June 29, 2009 at 4:49 PM, anticitrade (99.66) wrote:

Alstry,

Your last comment only further deteriorates your argument.  If I just look at the cities (take out all the towns and crap) that are having a fireworks display I get 134 out of 274, which is 49%!  That means that only about .5% of the cities cancelled their fireworks displays nationwide.  I have difficulty believing that the media is off the same factor of 10 that you are Alstry. 

So instead of extrapulating the numbers we should all just duck and cover?  Also it goes without saying that "CA, FL, MA, and OH" are actually states and not towns.

Part of the reason that Alstrynomics is so powerful is that it can change in an instant since it is not actually based on anything concrete.  And I agree, your forecasts are amazing...  I would say they are unbelievably amazing.

Report this comment
#22) On June 29, 2009 at 5:07 PM, alstry (35.44) wrote:

My friend,

We are contemplating July 4th displays.....not displays this year.

As far as your comment about states and not towns....we are talking about geography and cities are subsets of states.

Warning:  Right now I am playing with you...and based on the quality of your responses....your hole is getting deeper as my replies are intended to get the exact responses you have given so far.

Report this comment
#23) On June 29, 2009 at 5:13 PM, bigpeach (29.06) wrote:

I don't get it. Try not to focus on numbers and facts when you have theories? Certainly you don't mean that.

My comments were to point out that you need to back up your statements or they can't really be taken seriously. It's entirely relevant to any argument. It's especially important to support your opinions with facts if you're going to condescend Anti, or anyone else. Certainly you can forgive someone for giving greater credibility to information presented in the media (which can be fact checked) than the theorizing on an internet blog by someone going by the alias carcassgrinder.

Report this comment
#24) On June 29, 2009 at 5:24 PM, carcassgrinder (35.37) wrote:

BP....What I don't get is how you can try to support your statement by putting words to my comments that never existed....such as...

"Try not to focus on numbers and facts"--didn't say that

"all the numbers you see in the media are lies and propaganda"--didn't say that

"of course I'm right, you're naive"--never said that

This, my friend, is an example of how one can succesfully use facts.  Facts that can proven by reading my previous comments verses what you have read into them.

Attacking my screen name was the perfect touch...and just the type of response I would expect......BigPeach.

 

Report this comment
#25) On June 29, 2009 at 5:25 PM, debtRichQuick (< 20) wrote:

Looks like someone didn't find humor in my joke about a new type of "independence day"...LOL

Reality is, fireworks shows are being cancelled in my neck of the woods as well....while it has caught media attention and lots of crying and whining from the  Iraq "shock and awe" supporters who were cheering for GW in 2004 and MiCane in 2008...My take is....

THIS IS REALITY FOLKS!!! GET USED TO IT!!! THINGS ARE A MESS AND WE NEED TO PRODUCE SOMETHING OTHER THAN CREDIT TO SUPPORT OUR ECONOMY!!

"Real estate depreciates unless you appreciate it"      -DRQ

Report this comment
#26) On June 29, 2009 at 5:39 PM, anticitrade (99.66) wrote:

Alstry,

I am a little confused with your response.  Could you explain:

"your hole is getting deeper as my replies are intended to get the exact responses you have given so far"

I know you claim to be a "prophet", but it seems that someone who can see the future and illicit the "exact responses" they intend wouldn't have worked themselves up such a kick in the butt.

It is possible that your Alstry character has a much more interesting purpose than I had previously assumed.

Report this comment
#27) On June 29, 2009 at 5:45 PM, alstry (35.44) wrote:

Enough and let's move on....

I never claimed to be a prophet.....just Alstrydomous.

Based on your analysis, you have proven to me that as usual, Alstrynomics is all about being right.

Let's leave it at that......there is lots of stuff to analyze in upcoming weeks.

Prepare.

Report this comment
#28) On June 29, 2009 at 6:39 PM, debtRichQuick (< 20) wrote:

Anticitrade....why don't you pay attention to what Alstry is talking about....He is pointing out that local governments are having trouble supporting the 4th of July fireworks displays!...His point is, many other things must be wrong for this to happen!! Nothing to do with all the private display events you are posting....which many will probably either have cutbacks in display size...or all together just not happen.

http://www.michiganfireworks.com/by_date/

 Get real, and pay attention. School is still in session!

Report this comment
#29) On June 29, 2009 at 9:34 PM, AdirondackFund (< 20) wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqsT4xnKZPg

Report this comment

Featured Broker Partners


Advertisement