Special Situation Investing News - 8/5/2012
1) Here's what one of my favorite and one of the more successful activist investors JANA Partners has been up to:
Jana Partners Exceeds Expectations: Fund Up 11.2 % YTD
2) I just came across this interesting Seeking Alpha article on Unisys. While this stock is not my cup of tea, I love how the article clearly lays out the company's hidden assets and potential catalysts that could cause its stock to rise.
Unisys: A Cheap, Successful Turnaround
3) A short article on two of the more interesting hedge fund managers that I follow, their recent performance and new positions:
Ackman, Einhorn's Hedge Funds Outperform in July
4) A short, but interesting article, with a pretty graph as an added bonus, about how spun-off companies have outperformed the S&P 500 recently:
Spin-Offs Continue to Outperform the Market
5) Yes another article about how the sum-of-the-parts is greater than the whole at Loews (the conglomerate, not the home improvement store):
Loews: More Than Meets the Eye
6) An update on W. P. Carey's plans to convert into a REIT (I love REIT Conversions):
W. P. Carey Provides Update on Its Proposed REIT Conversion and Merger With Corporate Property Associates
7) thank goodness I dumped WPX after it was spun-off from WMB. I was much more interested in the company's pipeline business than its E&P operations, not to mention the fact that I was scared off by its exposure to Argentina, the King or Queen (whichever you prefer) of nationalizing foreign assets. Yes as the author states, WPX is cheap right now, but probably not cheap enough for my taste yet:
WPX Energy - A Natural Gas E&P Spin-Off At A Discount
Wow it's getting late. That's all I have the time for right now. Enjoy and have a great evening everyone!