Use access key #2 to skip to page content.

EverydayInvestor (< 20)

The use of vulgarity is, always and everywhere, a sign of ineloquence

Recs

0

March 22, 2009 – Comments (23) | RELATED TICKERS: F , BOM , B

It is sad that so many bloggers here on CAPS feel the need to use such language to garner attention.

As a trader I can swear with the best drunken sailors, but if I want to be taken seriously I avoid such childish behavior.

23 Comments – Post Your Own

#1) On March 22, 2009 at 1:08 PM, Tastylunch (28.66) wrote:

Nice tickers. 

Report this comment
#2) On March 22, 2009 at 1:40 PM, herztical (27.60) wrote:

A stab at alstry there?

Agree it sounds so ignorant and loses its effect when constantly used and never use when writing.

Report this comment
#3) On March 22, 2009 at 1:55 PM, alstry (< 20) wrote:

You will notice as Alstry gets closer and closer to Everyday's score...he will start to sweat a bit......he will then begin to question how smart he is....once that happens....just watch.

Report this comment
#4) On March 22, 2009 at 2:14 PM, TideGoesOut (< 20) wrote:

You're f-ing right.

All kidding aside, you are absolutely correct. There is a time and a place for swearing (trying not to get beat up in a biker bar in North Dakota, for example) and this is not the place. It's understandable for people to be upset when 50% of their retirement evaporates, but the cursing I've seen here is not an expression of anger; it's simply a combination of laziness and ego.

Report this comment
#5) On March 22, 2009 at 3:14 PM, columbia1 wrote:

Lately there has been a surge of foul language in the titles of various blogs. Overall this degrades our community and invites even more of this foul language. I think a lot of it has to do with competition for more recs.

It is a good thing you are not a rec. whore ;)

Report this comment
#6) On March 22, 2009 at 5:30 PM, belfairinvestor (28.87) wrote:

I agree that the use of vulgarity is a sign of ineloquence.

Repeatedly embedding the Tenecious D video meets the above criteria.

Report this comment
#7) On March 22, 2009 at 5:52 PM, Philyogy (64.74) wrote:

I know that what some people think is a vulgar term, others may not.. I think we place wierd sense of meaning to certain words.. I mean, if people kept spouting off things like shoot, dang, No Freaking Way Man... I mean we would laugh.. But the meaning behind the words, are the exact same as the ones we so call ban..

 Just a bunch of silly words.. lol  

Report this comment
#8) On March 22, 2009 at 8:06 PM, EverydayInvestor (< 20) wrote:

belfairinvestor (98.54) -- I am guilty as charged! But to get to that you have to click on a video and choose to watch it.

Report this comment
#9) On March 22, 2009 at 9:34 PM, soycapital (< 20) wrote:

It is sad that so many bloggers here on CAPS feel the need to use such language to garner attention.

 Overall this degrades our community and invites even more of this foul language.

I agree, in a backroom bar yes, on CAPS? what is the point?

Report this comment
#10) On March 22, 2009 at 10:31 PM, BenGriffin71 (27.65) wrote:

I can fecal snipe with the best of them.  At times it is simply more concise to drop an f-bomb than labor in a circumloquatious style to keep within the bounds of what is deemed proper and good.

I can think of numerous eloquent ways to suggest that I have  a bowel movement in the mammary secretion of your sex selling maternal relative..... but as vulgar as it is, the spanish curse is infact far more eloquent. ' me cago en la leche de tu puta madre'.

 

I agree that often times, vulgarity is a mark of a lack of creativity, but the brush is too broad if you insist 'always'.

 

Refaining from the vulgar does not make things more kind, or better, it is just another constraint on free thought and free speach.  Rule of thumb... great.  More than that, no thank you.

Report this comment
#11) On March 22, 2009 at 10:33 PM, EverydayInvestor (< 20) wrote:

BenGriffin71 (99.24) -- yes, but we are talking about investing, not doing pointless disgusting or offensive things.

Report this comment
#12) On March 22, 2009 at 10:37 PM, BenGriffin71 (27.65) wrote:

Oh, and Everyday.....

>>>'... As a trader I can swear with the best drunken sailors...'<<<</em>

 Those are mighty big words my friend.  You let me know when you feel up to the task, I'll grab a bottle of Jameson's, and you and I can go round and round for a bit....

Report this comment
#13) On March 22, 2009 at 10:39 PM, BenGriffin71 (27.65) wrote:

Fecal sniping is not pointless.  It means to shoot the shit.  It has a very definate if meandering point.  Perhaps you were confused by the nonvulgar terminology I used?

Report this comment
#14) On March 23, 2009 at 4:25 AM, kaskoosek (29.96) wrote:

EverydayInvestor

 

 

A title has to be attention grabbing. One of the best articles I have read recently on fool is dare's article.

Everyone Just CALM the **** DOWN!

 

I think that if this type of language is not used as often, has it's advantages. We are not in Kindergarden class.

 

Report this comment
#15) On March 23, 2009 at 8:32 AM, EverydayInvestor (< 20) wrote:

kaskoosek (99.74) -- anyone with a high school education could tell such a title on Dareth's post was abominably dumb. It said little about what he was actually writing and of course, 90% of us just inserted fuck in there (come on, that is just cowardly; it says "I want to be on the edge but I'm too afraid of getting censored so I'll make you insert words here")

Report this comment
#16) On March 25, 2009 at 3:51 AM, BenGriffin71 (27.65) wrote:

EVERYDAY:

 I look to you for pearls of investing wisdom.

 

This foray into absolutes in language,  falls short of that expectation.  You have failed to make your case that vulgarity is an absolute sign of ineloquence.

 

Vulgarity can be fluenty and forcefully expressive. 

That some have decided certain ideas or words are distasteful is understandable.  However,to argue that the tastes of a select group should be forced upon all is untenable. I prefer diversity to censorship.

 

I believe you are wise enough to posses the ability to change your opinion. even in public.  Perhaps the question has not been framed properly, yet.

Ask yourself; what else is eloquence, but fluent and forceful expression? Can vulgarity not engender these qualities in expression?

Report this comment
#17) On March 25, 2009 at 9:09 AM, EverydayInvestor (< 20) wrote:

BenGriffin71 (95.30)--

eloquent: having or exercising the power of fluent, forceful, and appropriate speech: an eloquent orator.

Vulgarity is great for exclamations (as in "&$*#! My #$(*#ing hand is on fire!"). Much of its shock value does not translate into writing. Furthermore, when it is used in place of more fitting words (as in, "The Fed is #*$&#ing us all" instead of "The Fed has sold out to the Hedge Funds & Bankers") it distracts from rather than adds to the point of the argument.

I have not yet seen an instance in investing or economics where an essay using vulgarity could not be better written without such vulgarity. 

Report this comment
#18) On March 25, 2009 at 11:42 AM, BenGriffin71 (27.65) wrote:

eloquent One entry found.

Main Entry: el·o·quent Pronunciation: \-kwənt\ Function: adjective Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Latin eloquent-, eloquens, from present participle of eloqui to speak out, from e- + loqui to speak Date: 14th century 1 : marked by forceful and fluent expression eloquent preacher> 2 : vividly or movingly expressive or revealing eloquent monument> — el·o·quent·ly adverb  No mention in Merriam Webster of your 'and appropriate' appendage'  

Report this comment
#19) On March 25, 2009 at 11:48 AM, BenGriffin71 (27.65) wrote:

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth Edition.  2000. eloquence SYLLABICATION:el·o·quencePRONUNCIATION:  l-kwnsNOUN:1a. Persuasive, powerful discourse. b. The skill or power of using such discourse. 2. The quality of persuasive, powerful expression.

 

 

American Heritage lacks any mention of 'appropriate'

Report this comment
#20) On March 25, 2009 at 11:52 AM, BenGriffin71 (27.65) wrote:

el·o·quence play_w2("E0095900")  (l-kwns) n. 1. a. Persuasive, powerful discourse. b. The skill or power of using such discourse. 2. The quality of persuasive, powerful expression. hm()

. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

eloquence Noun the ability to speak or write in a skilful and convincing way hc_dict()

Collins Essential English Dictionary 2nd Edition 2006 © HarperCollins Publishers 2004, 2006

eloquence graceful, forceful, or persuasive speech. — eloquent, adj.See also: Rhetoric and Rhetorical Devices ologies()

-Ologies & -Isms. Copyright 2008 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.

 

 

Free Dictionary . com makes no mention of 'approriate'

Report this comment
#21) On March 25, 2009 at 12:12 PM, EverydayInvestor (< 20) wrote:

I use dictionary.com. If I were not lazy I'd go and look it up in the OED to be sure. Anyway, my arguments stand even if we ignore "appropriate".

Using vulgarity adds nothing to persuasiveness. It should detract from persuasiveness. As we all know, persuasiveness is affected by many things, including the stature of the writer / speaker (if I weren't lazy I'd cite 20 academic studies to back me up here). Using simple language (and I would put vulagarity in that camp) makes a writer / speaker seem less intelligent and less knowledgable and they will thus be less persuasive. Of course, this is not to say that pedantry is good; rather that complicated language permits the more accurate expression of nuance and complexity that pervades any investment or economic argument.

Since it seems to be the thing to do, I will use FloridaBuilder as an example. His knowledge and logic are impeccable. But my first inclination on reading his blog posts is to not take them seriously because of random crudeness (as well as his grammar, spelling, and punctuation). On the other hand, I have no trouble taking John Mauldin seriously because even when he is wrong his arguments are well structured, grammatical, and focused.

Report this comment
#22) On March 25, 2009 at 12:21 PM, EverydayInvestor (< 20) wrote:

Now, tell me the the form of the following (quoted from a recent Alstry blog post, People Saying FU to Governments) does not subtract from its substance:

"March 24 (Bloomberg) -- Czech Prime Minister Mirek Topolanek lost a no-confidence vote after coalition and independent lawmakers backed the opposition’s bid to make him the latest political victim of the global economic crisis.

Latvia, Lithuania, Hungry, Iceland, Belgium......frustration and agitation growing around the world.....

2 million protesting in France......

England declining into a DEPRESSION...

Italy, Spain, and many more.....

People fleeing Dubai and leaving their cars at the airport

Land Prices crashing in Japan.....AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20 million Chinese lost their jobs in one quarter

And people are worried about the dollar?????????????????????????????????

USA   USA   USA  USA    USA    USA    USA    USA"

 

I would beat up an 8th grader for writing like that. Just because the blog format permits everyone to post whatever mindless drivel they please does not mean that they should. On the other hand, take a look at alstry's "Practical Look at an Impractical Problem":

"Property Taxes.....we all know about the housing boom......if you didn't trade up, it is likely your property taxes at least doubled during that period....if you traded up with your house......many families are paying 300-400% higher property taxes than they did ten years ago.....homeowners insurance costs generally rose with the rising price of your home....unless of course you lived in a hurricane vulnerable area where HO costs increased exponentially."

While I think alstry is completely wrong in this post, the post at least acquires a veneer of plausibility because he has not laden it with the excessive punctuation or vulgarity that he so loves to use.

 

Report this comment
#23) On March 27, 2009 at 7:35 AM, BenGriffin71 (27.65) wrote:

EVERYDAYINVESTOR:

>>>> '...Using simple language (and I would put vulagarity in that camp) makes a writer / speaker seem less intelligent and less knowledgable and they will thus be less persuasive...'<<<</em>

'Eschew obfuscation, espouse elucidation'

You know that your statement is far to broad.  Speakers/writers can just as easuily create a negative impression by NOT using simple language.

Excessive use of jargon, rare words, and overly complicated structure can make a speaker seem like a swindler or perhaps just ostentatious.  

But I am not taking your approiach and suggestion that people shouldn't exercize their vocabular...  just because using certain words can cause problems, it certainly doeesn't have to...

That is where you are off track.  You claim absolutes:  that vulgarity always and everywhere is a sign of ineloquence.

the most brilliant people have you thinking about their subject instead of them as a speaker.  They project their subject with as little trace of themselves as a speaker. What can be said simply, should be said simply.  Occam would agree (see isn't it kind of annoying that I throw that in there... making you think about ME feeling a need to mention Occam... you don't find me more persuasive now, in light of that, do you?)

 

 

 

Your responses  suggest you already realize that your characterization of vulgarity to be an unhelpful bias.  As you have said about Alstry and Florida builder, you have to get over you bias because what they have to offer is worthwhile in spite of your proclamation......  So their blogs are..... persuasive.....? (adding some extra punctuation for you here, just think of me as resistance training for your peace of mind)  Persuasive enough.  They persuade you to read the blogs inspite of your dislike of the language/formatiing.

 People speak in many diferent ways, and it is a big loss to assume intellegence based on only their language,  don't get me wrong, I think you should be a decent speaker to be the President of th United States.  But not all converations are State of the Union. 

 

Anyway I really appreciate that you post so much useful stuff.  I don't want you to get the wrong impression.  I think highly of your writing.  Just disagreeing with your premise in this blog.

Report this comment

Featured Broker Partners