Use access key #2 to skip to page content.

Varchild2008 (86.15)

Triple Portfolio GRANDSLAM!!! DPS + FLIR + WHR

Recs

1

April 27, 2009 – Comments (9) | RELATED TICKERS: FLIR , DPS , WHR

I am experiencing today a TRIPLE Portfolio Grandslam in 3 companies that in less than 1 months time I have upgraded my stake in expecting good things.. Boy was I rewarded this morning...

Check out the news headlines fellow MF investors!!   This is what a good day in the market looks like!

1) Dr. Pepper Snapple Group   Shares up over $1.00  off news of a multi-contract deal to provide Dr. Pepper product in McDonald's Restaurants.

Dr. Pepper is already served at Wendys and at SOME  Subway stores.  Now it's available at McDonalds world wide?  OMG! 

2) FLIR Systems -  Extech, a subsidiary of FLIR, reports Record Breaking Earnings despite Military Budget cuts.  Why?  Cause the business (I knew all along) is in the correct business!  This stuff is needed and necessary no matter who is Commander in Chief.

3) Whirlpool  -   Beat earnings estimates with 91 cents a share EPS versus a loss of 18 cents and re-confirmed earnings prediction for 2009 between 3 and 4 bucks eps.  Cost cutting moves that made me BULLISH on Whirlpool have paid off big time.  Free Cash flow stands at $300-400 million.
Who says Whirlpool's cash isn't good?  They are floating in cash!

3 Great American companys producing breath-taking announcements..... Why on EARTH would anyone want to trade in and out of stocks rather than invest in these names long-term as I have?

It pays to be patient folks and to buy on dips:-)

9 Comments – Post Your Own

#1) On April 27, 2009 at 10:08 AM, Varchild2008 (86.15) wrote:

!Woops! My apologies.... Not World-wide for DPS.

DPS = U.S. wide deal with McDonalds.  So now only impacts 300 million people instead of billions.  Ah well... Still  a huge, bullish, announcement and signals Dr. Pepper as the fastest growing carbonated SODA in America right now.

Take that!  Coca-BoreYa.... Take That Hansen Natural BORE.
Take that!  Pepsi-Frito-BoreYa.

Report this comment
#2) On April 27, 2009 at 11:50 AM, briyan (31.95) wrote:

Since you picked DPS, it is down 10%, did I miss something?

Report this comment
#3) On April 27, 2009 at 11:53 AM, briyan (31.95) wrote:

I hit post too early but just wanted to add, FLIR is down 40% since you picked it.  I am wondering why you consider these picks part of a "Grand Slam" ?

Report this comment
#4) On April 27, 2009 at 1:43 PM, Varchild2008 (86.15) wrote:

Yea... since i picked DPS it went to $12 and then popped back up to near $20.

You missed an $8 gain!   And you missed the fact that this company is 1.5 years away from getting rid of its debt.  Well ahead of schedule.

Share price action is where I want to see this type of stock.

DPS is WHR..... Where you pluck some cash in and get a $7.00 1 day rally OMG!

The concept of investing in DPS is slow growth.  It's a large cap stock....

And before you say these types of stocks suck....  They don't when DPS starts introducing Dividend payments.

I am perfectly happy and thrilled to not have to Chase DPS to $50 a share... like Hansen Natural Corp.... But instead keep loading up on shares of DPS at less than $20 a share until it explodes sky high, upward, on the announcement of a dividend payment.

Can you imagine?  I could easily see myself Retiring off of DPS the day it provides a dividend.  That is how I invest...  Sometimes I go for High Risk..Quick Buck pursuits like BAC....Sometimes I go for slow growth.... I like to have a solid mix of stocks....

DPS has already proven itself to be a fantastic great American name brand corporation and to have such a company in my portfolio... I couldn't be any more proud frankly.

Report this comment
#5) On April 27, 2009 at 1:46 PM, Varchild2008 (86.15) wrote:

Woops.. I mean that it is paying down its debt 1.5 years ahead of schedule...Could be more like 3 or 4 years away from Debt freedom...

Truth is.... the fear of DPS due to its debt is what is bringing this share price below $20.....   Once that debt goes away... This thing trades as if its Hansen Natural Corp.

Today?  It sucks... if you want a quick buck... fine.. go for the quick buck.... but don't ignore the slow, lumbering, tortoise stocks... 

Slow and steady wins the race!

Report this comment
#6) On April 27, 2009 at 1:48 PM, Varchild2008 (86.15) wrote:

Oh and 2 more things.

#1:  Don't mess with Texas.....

#2:  Can't go wrong when ya got a Cowboy C.E.O.

Report this comment
#7) On April 27, 2009 at 2:09 PM, briyan (31.95) wrote:

Varchild, I am not saying I think these kinds of stocks are bad or boring, in fact I am a conservative dividend-focused investor myself in my real-world portfolio.

But the fact that DPS went down to 12 and is back up near 20 doesn't mean it's a great pick, unless you picked it up at 12.

You picked DPS at $21.15 last summer, and it's now trading at $19.03 according to CAPS. If you are pleased that it is not even lower, and you are maintaining a long-term focus on this pick, that's fine.  But I don't see how you can call it a "Grand Slam" pick when all you've gotten so far is a >10% loss.

Your WHR pick, so far, has done much better, as it is up 40% from your pick just two months ago.

Report this comment
#8) On April 27, 2009 at 6:56 PM, Varchild2008 (86.15) wrote:

I doubled down on $12 and $13.

It's called WIDE BUYS.   You also WIDE BUY a stock you label as your retirement investment which I did since its IPO date.  I bought DPS at IPO day.. Declared it for LIFE... my LIFE stock.

And if you are asking me that I should value a stock based on the characteristics of a stock's price action.... You are deeply mistaken on what sound investment strategy is really about.

DPS isn't about price action for me.... It is about the COMPANY and the COMPANY continues to beat earnings estimates... Continues to pay down their debt...

Continues to expand their brands... whether it is new offerings of 7-up in their Antioxidant lineup, or landing a distribution deal for CRUSH with PAS...Pepsi Americas... or now this announcement with McDonalds...

A beverage company is about the company.... You want a company that isn't some fly by night, skyrocketing share price, FAD... I don't want to get involved with a "CROCS" stock because the "Share Price Action is Bullish."

I want a stock.. that has a tremendous management team I value highly backing it up. I got that and more in spades with DPS.

I mean seriously??  Good stock?  Bad stock???

DPS is highly undervalued against their peers and it is that way ONLY BECAUSE wall street continues to dislike the company's debt.  I can wait out that debt and wait for the debt to go away and thus 1 big argument against pumping the stock price up sky high goes away... especially when the Dividend is finally introduced to investors who patiently bought into the stock year after year anticipating the LIGHT that is at the end of the long, investment, strategy tunnel.

Can I do better elsewhere?  today?  perhaps.. long term? no way.  Long term... I will do just fine with DPS.

hey.. I don't invest in 1 stock... I'm not a 1 stock johnny.. In fact I do some trading outside of my "MAJORS" which is what I call the 5 stocks I am long term holding.

Report this comment
#9) On April 27, 2009 at 7:01 PM, Varchild2008 (86.15) wrote:

P.S.  I emensely enjoyed some Dr. Pepper at McDonalds today! 

Report this comment

Featured Broker Partners


Advertisement