Wal-Mart Has Gone Shopping
What do you do when the economy tanks and the stock market follows suit, but you are still generating a lot of cash? Many people would look for bargains in the market. Wal-Mart (WMT) [analysis] has done just that.
On June 5th, WMT announced a new share repurchase program that gives the company authorization to repurchase $15 billion of its shares. The new plan replaces the previous $15 billion program, which was announced June 1, 2007 and had approximately $3.4 billion of remaining authorization.
CEO Mike Duke said, “We remain committed to returning value to our shareholders through share repurchase and dividends.” In the last five years Wal-Mart has repurchased approximately $21 billion worth of its shares, Duke said. In addition, WMT raised its dividend in 2009 by 15% to $1.09/share.
Below are some companies rewarding their shareholders with increasing cash dividends:
- VSE Corporation (VSEC) increased its dividend to $0.20/share annually, yielding 0.76%
- Oil-Dri Corporation (ODC) raised its dividend 7% to $0.15/share, yielding 3.00%
- Florida Public Utilities (FPU) bumped its quarterly dividend 2.1% to $0.12/share, yielding 3.71%
- C. R. Bard (BCR) boosted its quarterly dividend 6% to $0.17/share, yielding 0.93%
- Clorox (CLX) increased its dividend 8.7% to $0.50/share, yielding 3.73% – Analysis
- Target (TGT) raised its quarterly dividend 6% to $0.17/share, yielding 1.72%
- National Fuel Gas (NFG) bumped its quarterly dividend by 3.1% to $0.335/share, yielding 3.76%
One sign of confident and competent management is willingness and ability to raise their company’s dividend during a severe economic downturn. For companies with a long string of consecutive dividend increases, see this list.
Full Disclosure: Long WMT, CLX. See a list of all my income holdings here. Have future posts delivered to you for free!
1. John D. Rockefeller Quotes
2. Measuring Dividend Stocks Investment Risk Profile
3. Dividend Stocks Are ‘Slow Good’
4. Investment Dating Before Marriage
5. Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (WMT) Stock Analysis