What do you know? I mean REALLY know...
So I'm sure by now that many of you are familiar with the exploits of floridabuilder. For months now he has been adding very valuable content to the CAPS community by giving his insights into the homebuilding industry. Is he able to do this because of incredible mental power? Hardly (just kidding!). Seriously, he's a very bright guy, but the reason he's able to give us so much insight into this particular industry is because it's the industry that he works in (well, his industry is at least very very related). He knows it because he lives it and breathes it on a day to day basis.
What's really powerful is that we have a community on CAPS that now has over 70,000 members -- and most of those members are employed in some line of work. So why not follow in floridabuilder's footsteps and help educate the community on whatever industry you work in? It doesn't take a whole lot of mental gyrations, all it is is sharing knowledge that you already have and probably take for granted.
What would be helpful to a community of investors? Here are some of my thoughts (feel free to augment):
- Give an general overview of the industry, what the product/service is, how it's made/delivered, etc
- Present some current issues in the industry that are either acting as growth engines or headwinds
- Share about the competitive environment in the industry
- Give your thoughts about what makes a player in this industry a good company or a poor company
- Opine on some of the publicly traded companies in your industry
It's easy to overlook all the stored up knowledge you have about what you do on a daily basis. And if the particular company that you work for isn't publicly traded, or you work for yourself, don't get hung up on that. Privately held companies face many of the same industry-wide issues and competitive forces as thier publicly traded counterparts.
So what do you know?