Use access key #2 to skip to page content.

monksnake (40.47)

What is it with these meaningless all-star blogs getting high recs??

Recs

0

January 11, 2009 – Comments (12)

Quick rant:

I find it ridiculous that blogs about Floridabuilder coming back and a picture of a hypnotized toad get all these recs.  What does this have to do with investing at all??  I'm not against people posting this stuff, as people can post what they want.  

But why all these recs??

Almost every blog post by a recognized all-star gets tons of recommendations, no matter what the blog is about.  CAPS is more of a social club than an investment community. 

12 Comments – Post Your Own

#1) On January 11, 2009 at 4:03 AM, DaretothREdux (48.31) wrote:

Nature of the beast? I mean can you really argue that investment advice isn't offered as well?

Report this comment
#2) On January 11, 2009 at 5:01 AM, matcha695 (< 20) wrote:

Let's rack up a whole bunch of recs for this tripe too. Maybe it can be the post of the day.

Report this comment
#3) On January 11, 2009 at 5:59 AM, falang1 (< 20) wrote:

Anti-rec rec for you!

Report this comment
#4) On January 11, 2009 at 11:34 AM, binv271828 (< 20) wrote:

While I agree that Hypnotoad's "blog posts" are not really worthy of being recd (however, the Futurama fan in me still disagrees, and there is something slightly admirable in a guy who will post the same thing over and over, kind of like one of Caps little quirks), I disagree with the general sentiment "Almost every blog post by a recognized all-star gets tons of recommendations, no matter what the blog is about.  CAPS is more of a social club than an investment community"

Sometimes blogs can simply be rants or random thoughts. I agree that rants about other players are significantly less than useful. But rants about the government, business decisions, news items, crappy analysis from wall street, etc has a place on the site. It encourages discussion and gets people thinking, which is always a useful exercise. 

Now sometimes there are blogs that have nothing do with investments, policies or even rant. They are just random thoughts. And these are useful too. Because I tend to think that everybody that is here at the Fool are here because of the 3 main tenets "Educate, amush, enrich". Caps is great because for the most part we are like minded in the "amuse and enrich" part. We are all comrades. We like to have fun. Most of us are taking losses in our porfolio, and sometimes its nice to laugh at a post made by somebody who is in a very similar situation to you. I think it is very fair to call Caps as much of a social club as it is an investment community. I, for one, very much like it that way.

If you want "just the facts" investment discussions, there are thousands of newsletters on the internet that cater to exactly what you describe above. Why complain about what Caps is to the Caps members? I am not quite getting the ultimate point to your post? I am definitely not trying to pick a fight, just trying to understand where you are coming from. Thanks, sorry for the rant :)

Report this comment
#5) On January 11, 2009 at 2:24 PM, eldemonio (98.33) wrote:

I hear ya, nice sheep by the way.  What's up with all of the trash talking and ridiculous blog posts that really don't contribute to anyone's knowledge of the markets?  Take this post for example.  I mean, what am I really getting out of reading this blog? 

I think it is brilliant how you have demonstrated that a meaningless blog about nothing in particular can generate recs from others.  

Report this comment
#6) On January 11, 2009 at 7:40 PM, btown819 (92.83) wrote:

The numerous recs on off-topic, inappropriate, crappy blogs, etc. is a reflection of the CAPS community.  MF tries to convince the CAPs players that they are among the elite and bestowed with special talents simply because they read MF articles.  This is quite a stretch; many of the players on CAPS are still idiots... now they are idiots who can also read a balance sheet.

Report this comment
#7) On January 11, 2009 at 8:36 PM, dwelllewd (27.36) wrote:

HERE, HERE!

Well said.  It is about time someone called for an end to those recommendations based solely on personal opinion of a blog's worthiness to read.  How utterly selfish, using ones own opinion to determine whether a blog should be recommended~!

People should be more responsibe and recommend only what they feel the investing community should want to read, regardless of any fanciful personal opinions.  Additionally, only blogs with topics relating strictly to investments and investing should be recommended.

 Any rebels found recommending blogs based selfishly on their personal likes and dislikes should be ridiculed and called names like 'free-thinker' and 'questioner-of-authority'.  Rapscallions the whole lot.

ONWARD CONFORMIST BULK!!!!

Report this comment
#8) On January 11, 2009 at 9:02 PM, kayakingkarl (< 20) wrote:

lol!

Report this comment
#9) On January 12, 2009 at 1:48 AM, monksnake (40.47) wrote:

"I think it is brilliant how you have demonstrated that a meaningless blog about nothing in particular can generate recs from others."

:) 

To others: I'm not saying just because a blog isn't about investing directly doesn't mean it's not useful.  Also, to kid around with others with playful posts (even blogs) is a good thing, it promotes comraderie (sp?).  However, I don't understand why people feel blogs about nothing should be recommended for others to read.  To the people that rec these, what do I get out of reading this stuff?  When I go through blogs to read, I basically dimiss the top recommended blog list because it's mostly garbage.  

The truth is, CAPS is based off investing or items related to investing.  Therefore, shouldn't the highly recommended blogs pertain to the relevant subject? 

Quote dwelllewd:

"Any rebels found recommending blogs based selfishly on their personal likes and dislikes should be ridiculed and called names like 'free-thinker' and 'questioner-of-authority'.  Rapscallions the whole lot.

ONWARD CONFORMIST BULK!!!!"

For all you know, I'm the new US government. 

Thank you, I love you all. 

Report this comment
#10) On January 12, 2009 at 10:42 AM, mandrake66 (50.81) wrote:

Welcome to teh Internetz.

Report this comment
#11) On January 13, 2009 at 6:38 PM, EnigmaDude (51.18) wrote:

I quite agree - 1 rec for you!

(although I did enjoy hypnotoad - a little meaningless fun can break up the day once in a while)

Report this comment
#12) On January 15, 2009 at 4:22 PM, Mary953 (84.14) wrote:

There is a lot right now that is painfully ridiculous, like the Dow taking a suicide leap off of the nearest high building - again and again and again.

In a very weird way, a smile helps.  It is easier to laugh at a totally invented firing of - sorry, laying off of - 75,000 elves by Santa, or to hear the not-so-invented news of $140,000 paid for a bluefin tuna (3x the price of silver, ounce for ounce)  If I had an ounce of artist or computer programming in me, I would try to create a picture of Charlie Tuna turning silver and multiplying while cats all around dropped their jaws in astonishment.  Fun lightens the mood a bit and the serious stuff still gets dealt with.

As to Hypnotoad, you have a point, lots of recs for using his name, but none for him a couple of days later.  The rubber band snaps back.  Sorry HT, I guess it really Ain't easy being green.  Must have been the picture.

Report this comment

Featured Broker Partners