You May Be In a Recession If...
Quick note: We're having some hyperlinking issues, so we'll also include our links in the comments section.
Without further ado, you may be in a recession if:
1) AIG is handing out more bonuses. As we all know, troubled companies like to ramp up bonuses during recessions (he says, only kinda kidding). For example, led by Goldman Sachs, Wall Streeters are expecting record bonuses this year.
2) Courtesy of fellow Fool Jeremy Phillips, the WSJ recently ran a story called "The Joy of 'Jug' Wines"...Times are tough. When they break down the best deals in 40's, sell like you've never sold before.
3) TARP recipients like JPMorgan's Jamie Dimon are whining about the government's valuation of warrants...this after the government single-handedly stabilized bank share prices, which allowed for bank capital raising. Even if the warrant valuations by the government tilt a little rich, I have to agree with Buffett, who said yesterday: "I think Wall Street owes the American people one at this point." Is this the type of hubris that foreshadows the death of green shoots?
4) GM made it out of rehab...no, no, no. Actually, I guess this is a good sign. Even better, they're innovating with a new deal with eBay to sell their used cars online. Score one for Government Motors.
- Anand Chokkavelu (who implores you to read more in the comments area!)