One of my favorite magazines that I have recently picked up reading is Success Magazine. The magazine's mission is to provide entrepreneurs, workers, students, and any hard working individual with advice, tricks, and inspiration for every day work or every day living.
I found one particular article from its August 2016 issue, titled "How to Avoid Loneliness and Stay Smiling When You Work from Home", authored by Patty Onderko. The article touches the growing trend in the new work place; businesses shifting to a home based workforce saving money on office space. Also, more folks are finding new ways to make a living, while never getting in your car and parking in traffic.
Here are sme highlights from the article, and a nice list to help you "stay sane, productive, and happy" working from your living room.
SET A ROUTINE
- Set Specific Hours for Work: Say, "8:30 to 4" giving you the time to drop off and pickup the kids.
- Schedule Lunch and Breaks: Gotta make a Sandwich and check out the Price is Right!
- Schedule an END TIME: This insures that you finish your day and that it doesn't drag on and on and on...
- A popular technique called the Pomodoro Technique encourages people to work in 25 minute chunks with 5 minute breaks in between. Just enough time to take deep breaths or eat a donut!
GO TO THE GYM
- Working out keeps the brain fit, fending off anxiety and depression
- Additionally, exercise leads to a sharpening of concentration and a boost in creativity
PLUG IN AT YOUR LOCAL COFFEE SHOP
(Wait, aren't we talking about working at home? Well, a coffee shop isn't as stiff as the office!)
- Interactions on the periphery of your social network can have a positive effect on your emotional well-being.
- So, drink some coffee, catch up with friends, and finish those reports.
PLAY HOOKY(Just don't Tweet about it or mention it on Facebook!)
- If you have completed all of your tasks for the day or week then go to a museum or a long bike ride. This will emphasize one of the reasons that that you work from home - Flexibility and Quality of Life.
Working from home has its pros and cons. Take advantage of your situation and make it as efficient as possible. Life is too short to be a working stiff. [more]